Messenger Popups

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Due to the increasing number of queries relateing to the Messenger pop-up messages, I thought that this may help clear a few things up.

firstly, and most importantly, these pop-ups have absolutely NOTHING to do with either Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger, they are actually received by the "Messenger service"

All you have to do to stop these popups is go to open your start menu then select "run" then in the dialog box, type "services.msc" (minus quotes)

step1.png

Run Dialog

Now you should be presented with the services window, scroll down to the service called "Messenger" and double click it.

step2.png

Services Window

Click the startup type drop down menu, and select manual, then click the "stop" button.

step3.png

Messenger Service

Click ok to close the messenger service dialog window, then close the services window, you should now be safe from those annoying pop-ups :)

I've seen people promote that shoot the messenger app, what exaclty does it do? just the steps I outlined above, but in a nice exe fashion? or something different?

Yeah...I think we need one of these threads.
The Messenger popups question comes up every now and then. Nice one, SpeedY :)

Nice posts guys :)

Been getting the pop ups lately... couldn't remember where to change the settings and was too lazy to serach :shrug:

My Messenger is still set to automatic - of course nothing better popup as I am using adshield, spywareBlaster, spywareGuard, Cookie wall, xpantispy,SpyBot and AdAware!

And maybe a couple I forgot about!

Or you could use my VBscript, I sell it for $30 to unsuspecting noobs, but the code is open source :)

Code:
Option Explicit

Dim WSHShell, RegKey, Query

RegKey = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Messenger\"

Query = MsgBox("You're getting annoying ads." & _ 
vbNewLine & "Would you like to disable them?", 36)

If Query = 6 Then 
WSHShell.RegWrite RegKey & "Start", 4, "REG_DWORD"
End If

save as messenger.vbs

The funny thing is, that is probably all that those 'Stop those annoying messenger popups' software is, last one I seen was 29.95

Some good alternative methods popping up, nice work :)

Thanks SPeedY_B.. I'm running cable and I've got all the spyware and antivirus stuff, yet I kept getting this popup saying somethings about how my PC was vulnerable and said to go to www.destroyads.com and of course when you go there it has nothing to do with the invasive crap they're pulling. Anyway thanks...

Will I hope they get added to the list of spywareblaster, Ad-aware, Spysweeper and everybody else. Sygate Pro didn't pick it up either! This is ricidulous having that thing popup. Hell yesterday I was playing Star Trek Elite Force II and doing some training and out of nowhere comes that stupid popup about www.destroyads.com.. Hell I ended up unplugging my cable until I got SPeedY_B tweek.

What exactly does this messenger pop up do, where does it come from, and how did my aunt get it on her pc when she doesnt do anything? lol...

If you read the first post, it shows that its a service that is basically enabled by default.

Just use any of the methods in this thread to turn it off permenantly

i to kept getting pop ups i have norton,ad-aware,spybot+xp fire wall enabled.now i have gone and done what speedy_b has told us to do to stop these bloody annoying popoups the popup i kept
getting was from popoup padlock and other people trying to sell you things thanks speedy_b keep the good work up :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back