Messenger: Opera! not IE!

lieb39

Apple lover, PC User
Damn MSN Messenger... I have set every program to use Opera (it's just faster on my internet) but when I use MSN Messenger, and click on something that opens a link (whether a email or just a website) IE opens it... I don't even have the IE icon on my desktop! grrrr... yes, I'm using MSN messenger 6 beta... any fixes? even if i completely delete IE?

-lieb39

Empty the IE folder, install Opera to it, and rename the Opera executable to iexplore.exe ;)

Never tried it, but I do know that you can delete iexplore.exe (it might take a couple of tries and searching for backup copies that windows uses to replace it).

Nah, sounds too risky. I will just live with the bug for now. Besides, sometimes I need to see how my site looks in IE...

-lieb39

I've deleted iexplore.exe without adverse effects. But when you click on something in MSN, it has no effect at all.

Avant browser is built on IE, and it will still work if you want to view pages in IE (including Windows Update! :D), even if you have deleted iexplore.exe. You can leave the other files behind (Avant needs them) and just save iexplore to another folder in case you really, really need it later.

Hey, a good one but there is a problem. I try to more iexplore.exe to another location but XP recreates that file into the orginal location. When I replace that file with Advant and rename Avant to iexplore.exe, xp restores it back to the Internet Explorer. Must have been the file protection kicking in.

Do a search for iexplore.exe, and make sure system and hidden files are not hidden, and repeatedly delete them. Windows will relent after a couple of tries/searches.

You can delete the original and the backup from the search window.

Originally posted by Daedalus
but not in your CD ROM drive though
LOL...:D

Well, not a solution to the problem but a work-around: I use MSNM via Trillian. Trillian will utilize whichever browser is set as your default. 'Course, Trillian Pro 1.0 does not support integration with MSNM 6.1 beta.

Have you tried using the "Set Program Access and Defaults" from WinXP?

Kind Regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back