Messenger 5.0 - What do you wanna see in it?

Personally, I would like to be able to send a message to a group of people all at once.

The only way to do it at the moment is to start a conversation with 1 person and invite everyone else... a little time consuming if you ask me.

Originaly posted by Electronic Punk
I don't even think you need that line!

If you dont have the using namespace std; line you need to have:
std::cout << "Hello world./n"; insted. Otherwise you get complie errors. I am using the STL libraries though. the <iostream.h> library dose not require that code.

A fix has been found ... u can now stay signed in!!! :D :D

EDIT: See my next post ;)

Ok, here's what u need to do:

1) Get Messenger 5 from http://michael.ibeta.org/khujo/msnmsgs.zip

2) Get the fix from http://www.thedigitalresource.com/files/MSN5_Workaround.rar

3) Install Messenger 5
4) Replace the msnmsgr.exe file in C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger with the one in the .RAR file
5) Un-RAR the fix, and double click the .reg file to add the registry settings

6) REBOOT - VERY IMPORTANT ;)
7) Sign on and enjoy :D

I've tried it out, and it seems to be working. Have to test file transfer and voice chat though ... hope they work ok!
Very nice new look!!

it works!! hehe

i got it to work to but i cant stay online for longer then like 30 secs :/

I've been on for more than an hour!
Did u guys do exactly as I stated in my post?

ok now it works!!!! got to merge the regfile again, now its been like 15-20minutes workin great!!! the only thing is that if i log on to my hotmail account the older version (4.6) try to log, any fix?

Yeah, we have to wait for a fix for that one ...

Also, Voice/video doesn't seem to work with 5.0, but it works with 4.6/4.7(from SP1) :(
Receiving files works ok ... haven't tried sending files yet.

I think the reason why Hotmail/OE still uses 4.6/4.7 is because 5.0 is installed in
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger

and Hotmail/OE probably look in the default folder:
C:\Program Files\Messenger

Maybe changing the folder will fix it?

messenger!

I find messenger very basic and boring..

I much prefer ICQ :D

new things

i also noticed you are able to save a group to file instead of all contacts.

There are some really great ideas on this thread ... we should join the Messenger development team :p

Like a lot of you... I've used MSN for a LONG time!

Well... over that time, I've found many things that I found useful in say other instant messenging programs... that MSN was lacking.

To start off with... Most of you have already pointed out, the Away message.
Even though MSN Plus! Does have the ability to do so, it is rather flawed in the sense that it can become too frequent in its appearance than it really has to be.

The logging, somethign again MSN Plus! brought in.... Needs to be a default.

Now one of the MAIN things that have bugged me since i got MSN plus! to resolve the above... was that If i set the status to say 'appear offline'.... Then I reconnected to MSN, It would show as Online. Now the whole idea of appearing offline is to say hide from someone/or everyone for privacy and so on.
So then it should remain that in the event of someone being disconnected... or like me in England, being disconnected from the ISP every 2 hours. Then if i reconnect, it comes on as 'online' ... even if you quickly go offline.... people will still know that you have been online... and gone. Not a nice thought :)

I think there also needs to be some better way of stopping the email messages. Even though I turned the notifier off... I find some of the spam messeges STILL bring up a email notifier 'bubble'.

MSN could become VERY popular if it supported offline messages too!

Now another important thing for me, is the ability for MSN to know when there is no connection. For a independant computer with a modem it is easy for MSN to know when there is no connection, when the ISP DUN is dropped, so is the MSN connection.
However, on ICS, client machines cant 'tell' that there has been a loss of connection on the main machine... Which then shows MSN as 'online' however its NOT. Then when you double click on a user, it quickly jumps to offline. I think this needs to be fixed.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with the program. Although the above points are more off the conventional ICQ type features.. they are useful! And if they could be implemented without MSN becoming a memory hog... such as ICQ... then i think a lot of people would benefit... especially those who use instant messenger programs such as MSN on an every day basis.

The End :)

external ip sending

hey, id love it to if they made it so that i was able to send with my external ip because of my dynamic ip im nto able to send on anything except irc :/. another great thing would be cutsomizable away/bbl messages even though im sure someone has stated this somewhere.

anouther point i just thought off, what about more sound's + the choice 2 download new "set's" of sound such as message alerts?

The new server doesn't work anymore either ... it stays signed in only for a few seconds, like it used to without the fix!! :(

Did M$ find out?? :eek:
Anybody still able to stay signed in??

still loggin since yesterday.......but, i have to merge again the workaround to be able to log

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back