Messenger 5.0 - What do you wanna see in it?

Ok, here's the thing.

Ok, I downloaded and installed the 20MB and here's what I got:

- It's 20MB because apparently it's got Windows 9x setup and Windows NT setup.

- For some reason, it really doesn't let you logon, but I noticed that my current Messenger (The 4.6) is still installed, even after I installed the 5 version. (Both the new 5 Messenger icon and the 4.6 Messenger were on my system tray.

So I uninstalled Messenger 4.6 by using:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

BUT DON'T UNINSTALL IT YET!!

After uninstalling the 4.6 version, the 5 version simply DOESN'T WORK. Even if you're reinstalling it (the 5 version).
So appaprently, the 4.6 version MUST be installed, in order that the 5 version will at least exist.

So after trying all sorts of stuff (like registering again to the .NET thing, but it didn't work, it simply wouldn't log me in, (even that I can logon easily on 4.6).

ANYWAY, that's my "review"...;)

So if anybody got a solution for this, please, do be my guest... :rolleyes:

wow, thanks Gal, I guess we have to wait until MS are ready to share it, looks nice tho ;)

Here is a sceenshot by Jewelzz.
Cheers to Iceman and J for being test subjects.

No problem Punk. Any time..

And if I hadn't kissed up until now, here it is:

I just love your site, and anything I could do to help is an honor for me.

Wow, I really did kiss up... Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Thanx for testing it and the review Gal :)

Oh I'm gonna be sick now from reading your last post Gal :p

hey

there seems to be some new features in 5. if you look in the options menu you will see some added choices for when you start msn with windows. there is also a quality section in options looks like ms wants even more info... in actions you are also able to go on a "online date" lol what im saying is your able to view a website with another user. as far as i can see it looks like it will be the best msn messenger so far well atleast since messenger 1 ;)

messenger 5

hi - just installed messenger 5 only to find it wouldn't let me log in!! messed around with it for a while then gave up! anyone had anymore luck than me? why is it so large - 20mb???!!!:confused:

It won't log in ... you just have to wait for the final release. I'm sure it's going to be worth the wait!! :cool:

That's some great info, Pegasus! Thanks :)

I`d like to see an option to put a thumbnail jpeg of the person your talking too next to each contact and the ability to change that name so you know who it is.

It`d be also nice if you could have a picture up of the person at the side of the message box whilst talking to them.

But most of all i`d like the peace of mind of knowing that whenever i`m online with msn, i`m not broadcasting my IP to the world in general. MSN being as big as it is, has a whole can of worms that could be opened by idiot hacker scriptkiddies wanting to piss off a few million people. I`d like it to be completely secure, instead of logging onto a main server and staying there it`d be better if it logged onto a msn server just to get your contacts IP addresses and then disconnected. That way you`d only have the slew of DCC connections to the people you trust and you`d not be openly broadcasting your online status to the world. (something you still do even if you "only allow people in contact list", its easy to do with 3rd party software)

Lastly I`d like em to remove that damn startup app from win98se machines which interferes with my proxy server.

Thats my only bugbears.

there all great sujestions, now how can we get microsoft 2 use them?

what is messenger?thats one of the first things to go when i reformat..that and msn explorer....any good?that a program like yahoo instant meesenger?

msn mesenger is easyly the best instant mesaging program there is.this link gives more info + also the option2 download it. it's well worth tryin even if u decide u don't wan't it.msn

I've got the MSN 5 zip downloaded to my download folder - should I just leave it there for the time being and wait for the final release - or would I have to re-download to obtain the final version?

It's been awhile since it took me 15+ minutes to download a file!

Ok try this to get it working:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
hit servers and put this server in
messenger.hotmail.com;64.4.12.99:1863
reboot and sign on..

Might work for a bit :p Not long tho apparently, smaller download here too:

http://michael.ibeta.org/khujo/msnmsgs.zip

:eek: :eek: that wouldn't b a crack would it e.p?

may i refere u 2 the forum guildlines that u seem 2 b exempt from:p

guidlines

Huh?

The registry changes modifies where messenger attempts to connect.

The file is a 2meg rip of the messenger leak containing only what is needed for xp.

I know the guidelines, I wrote them.

Another thing i`d like is if it was completely seperate from the microsoft passport. For people who`s pc`s are permanently connected to the next this is a terrible security risk.

Having a hotmail email address as part of your login means if anyone knows your email address they can find out if you are currently online. Perfect if someone wants to hack into your system, hell they can even find out what ports are open.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back