Message to Gentoo users from Macromedia

Nick

OSNN Lurker
Spent the last week installing and configuring Gentoo. Just been to see if I can get flash on Gentoo/Linux and found this message from Macromedia:

9. What if I use Gentoo?

emerge netscape-flash
If this fails, you must seek help from the Gentoo community.

Argh, emerge...failed..! Must... seek ...help!

Must just be me then! :rolleyes:

You're probably better off without it. Flash should be banished into an extremely deep well and not let out for sixty-five-thousand years... and a half.

Would be quite happy to rid my install (of any o/s) of it.

I don't mind it, except most distro's that I like aren't supported unless you want to spend hours......

Will be interesting to see what direction Adobe takes things like flash. Also how Open Source friendly they will make them.

No error, just seemed an odd turn of phrase:

"If this fails, YOU MUST SEEK HELP!"

As far as Open Source goes, there's the GPL Flash Library, although I've not played with it yet. Has anyone had a go with this?

It'll be interesting to see what happens to all the Macormedia products. I know when Adobe took over Syntrillium, makers of Cool Edit, they changed the name to Adobe Audition, but as for the program itself it still has the same look and feel and does everything I want it to. Hope they only improve on the Macromedia products, as I make the occasional forray into dreamweaver.

@Speedy: What's the flash done to upset you?

Nick said:
@Speedy: What's the flash done to upset you?
I'm not SPeedY_B but flash is for the most part evil. It's way over used/abused. It can take a nice quick browser and bring your whole system to it's knees.

I agree there is over use of it on some sites, but if you're on a quick connection and reasonable computer then it's better to view sites as they were intended. I'm a website developer and the designer I work with does use flash, but sparingly and not for site critical components such as navigation.

I'm not sure I understand the sentiment "Flash is evil". IMHO, it's like anything else, overused or not implemented properly it becomes a problem, but used properly it can be useful.

From the strong comments I feel like I'm missing something though?

Flash existed, that's what it did.

I see it's existence as being completely pointless and annoying.

Flash can be used for some interesting things, though for the most part it has become like the <blink> tag or out of control flashing blinking images.

If only it was headed the same route as the blink tag though (ie: indefinitely disabled in most browsers)

However I think it's unfortunately here to stay, I can only be thankful it's existence is plug-in based, and that most o/s's have a delete feature.

Distrubing to see AOL putting it into their new IM client. :dead:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back