message another computer

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
I have a home network set up. Is there any dos command or way of making a message pop up on the other pc screen. I am going through a router and know the IP 's of the computer i need to send it to.

I have tried it comes up with this
No users have session with this server

The "Messenger" service is disabled by default after installing Service Pack 2.

NET SEND will work if you enable this service.

For more information:
Start, Run, CMD, NET SEND /?

Good i can now send from both laptops to the main pc but cannot do the reverse. What name do i use, is it the logon name???

It will send the message from the account you are logged into.

when i use the laptops i use the username for the main PC "joe". if i try and send one from the main pc to any of the laptops the username doesn't work.

All desktop computers or notebooks need to be in the same WORKGROUP.

net send /domain:WORKGROUP MESSAGE

All pc's are part of the same work group, i can send messages to the main pc from all machines but cannot send messages to any of the laptops even from the laptops. This is getting on my nerves now.

What syntax are you using? What is the name of your workgroup?

All computers must be in the same workgroup, all computers must have the Messenger service enabled.

Syntax:
NET SEND * "This is your message."

"net send kenny how are you"
this works from either laptop to main pc
kenny is the logon name. if i use the logon name for the laptops from any pc it doesn't recognise the name

One last time: NET SEND * "This is your message."

Read the link that kcnychief posted for a better understanding of the NET SEND command.

May I ask, what exactly you are trying to accomplish that you don't feel NET SEND lets you do? Perhaps we can point you in the right direction?

No i managed to get it working but it is easier just to shout up stairs.haha
shout to kids "DINNERS READY!!!"

Wow, NET SEND to let the kids know that Dinner Is Ready - now I have heard it all :p

Have you looked into any type of home intercom system? Not to go too far off topic there, but it may save on your vocal chords in the long run :D

ok another question for this. The box that pops up when you receive a message, how can i default it to full screen?

You can't. It isn't designed to work like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back