• Thread starter Spookydogman
  • Start date
S

Spookydogman

system specs:

abit ab-bx6 motherboard
award modular bios v4.51PG
pentium 3 500

mainboard has 4 slots for RAM. i had 2 64 DIMMs running just fine, tried to add 2 more but i'm only getting 192 megs total, not 256 once the 2 new cards are installed. i tested new RAM in other PC and the DIMMs work. i'm assuming the problem is:

1) a weird setting in XP PRO i don't know about
2) my bios
3) the motherboard

any suggestions? thanks!

Spooks

it's possible, because i'm not sure of the speed of the old RAM, but it's been my experience that all the RAM will just operate at the slowest speed. also, if there was an actual conflict, it should prevent the system from booting.

Originally posted by Spookydogman
it's possible, because i'm not sure of the speed of the old RAM, but it's been my experience that all the RAM will just operate at the slowest speed.

this is not always the case Im afraid - i encountered this problem with an older system of mine, you should try flashing your bios to the latest supported version and see if this sorts it.

Other than that, just upgrade your motherboard and get rid of the old mem and get nice new PC27000 DDR sticks instead

i think you hit it on the head, pady

i just talked to a rep from a bios upgrade business and the bios i'm running is about 18 months behind where it needs to be :p

it can't even run win xp completely correct, and it does have a ram cap of 192 (what a weird number!)

so, for $60 i can upgrade my bios chip and be a happy camper :)

thanks for responding to my question :)

couldn't you just flash your bios and upgrade it that way?

it could also means that one of your memory slot is not working .... 192 is 64x3....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back