• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Memory and XP.

I have windows xp and 4 gigs of memory. It only shows it having 2 gigs. It shows the 4 gigs in the task manager but when I look at properties of the computer *and other programs* it shows 2. I know that it is a windows xp thing but my question is, Is it using my 4 gigs and windows xp just doesn't show or is it only using 2? When I move the memory sticks around I can get it showing 3 gigs heh.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
XP seriously has little business with more than one gig, IMHO. I have a vague recollection that it might only use up to two - but this is really a 64 bit versus 32 bit issue, because you have to be using 64 bit to make any sensible approach to addressing more than 4GB of memory.

I guess the point is it is academic - you're highly unlikely to be using more than two anyway.

Dark Atheist

Staff member
Political User
32bit os will only at most use 3.25gb - they just say limit is 3.5gb - if you have to move stick about i would say clean out your mem slots, most older 32bit programs do have a 2gb mem limit, but not all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies