Memory and XP.

a dreams forever

OSNN Addict
I have windows xp and 4 gigs of memory. It only shows it having 2 gigs. It shows the 4 gigs in the task manager but when I look at properties of the computer *and other programs* it shows 2. I know that it is a windows xp thing but my question is, Is it using my 4 gigs and windows xp just doesn't show or is it only using 2? When I move the memory sticks around I can get it showing 3 gigs heh.

XP seriously has little business with more than one gig, IMHO. I have a vague recollection that it might only use up to two - but this is really a 64 bit versus 32 bit issue, because you have to be using 64 bit to make any sensible approach to addressing more than 4GB of memory.

I guess the point is it is academic - you're highly unlikely to be using more than two anyway.

32bit os will only at most use 3.25gb - they just say limit is 3.5gb - if you have to move stick about i would say clean out your mem slots, most older 32bit programs do have a 2gb mem limit, but not all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back