Meet Nasa~ My new rig

Ok ok yes i named my new rig NASA its a inside joke hehe. Here we go

added some recent pictures in post number 17 the rest are a few days old and show a wrong set up as i have now.

Ok after a whole lot of sh*t My new rig is up and running. Im going to include all the info for it in this thread for right now, but will be posting in the appropriate threads for overclocking ideas.
Here we go. Here are the parts

1. DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Link

2. AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500DAA4BP - OEM
Link

3. ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail
link

4. CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT - Retail
Link

5. Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Link

6. Leadtek PX6800GT TDH Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Link

7. SEASONIC S12-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: S12-500
Link

8. COOLER MASTER STC-T01-UW Grey with Black trim Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Link

9. Cooler Master Cross Flow Fan for CM-Stacker, Model "STF-B01-E1" -RETAIL - Retail
link

Ok my gripes first then my pleasure.

Ok first off id just like to say NVIDIA has really dropped the ball on its nforce4 with raid drivers. This was the biggest pain in my neck. I kept on getting blue screens trying to install windows with them. (i am not the only one apparently) My work around was using one of the raptors in raid (without drivers installed) and putting XP on it. Then plugging in the second drive and using the in windows tool to build the raid 0 stripping array.
All i can say is it finally worked but this took 4 hours to figure out how to do. (im new with raid) where if it would of worked like it was suppose to, it would of taken 15 mins. It can all be blamed on the raid drivers and the nforce4 chipset.

My second big gripe was that while my ram is supposedly badas* it came stock running at timing 3-3-3-8 and was causing windows problems. While running memtest 86+ no problems presented themselves (on second 1 gig set first was bad) i was unable to get windows booted. (installed XP with 512 problems with the dual channel gig) The ram was suppose to be running at 2-2-2-8 after a whole lot of looking around in the bios and playing with it i got it set to run at that and it seems to be doing ok. Although i will definitely need to tweak it more.

My finale huge gripe goes to the cross flow fan. When you pay 30 bucks for a fan you don’t normally have to re-tap the holes to get the screws that they provided to work. Unfortunately this wasent the case for me. After re-drilling the holes i was able to mount the fan in the CM stacker case with 3 out of the 4 screws (motor blocks one of the holes. I hope this actually helps some stuff out but we will see looks cool anyways.

Ok now with the bitc*ing done lets go to some pictures and some benchmarks. For right now all the pics i have are of me getting everything cabled in right and nice. When i clean up my house and such i will post the final closed case running pic hehe.

67ukjo.jpg

67ukjq.jpg

67ukk3.jpg

Here are the CPU-z screen shots. Im gona repost these in that thread that everyone else is. Im hopeing people can help me get the most out of the system with overclocking. I spent about an extra 100 on stuff in premium parts to be able to overclock.

67tz5w.jpg

67tzex.jpg

67uk2r.jpg

67uk51.jpg

67uk54.jpg

67uk38.jpg

My first run at the above setting in 3dmark 2005 with latest drivers in everything i ran a 4887. Which seems a bit low to me and im hoping with some over clocking of the CPU and GPU i will be able to raise it a lot.

Ok now my impressions.

I love the CM stacker case OMG its big and helps everything run so damn cool. With the parts i have listed i can barley hear my computer running. It really is super quiet. The loudest part of the whole system is the hardives going when they are loading up something and its a minimal decimal. This is a huge improvement over my last rig which was like a vacuum on all the time hehe.

I havet had the chance to play a lot of games but Half life 2 runs wonderfully and so does the demo for battlefield 2 it does looks fantastic, Im gona go buy it later today probably. I will try to install doom 3 later, I really want to see what fights look like without dropping too 2 frames per sec with those damn imps. Lots more game benches and feedback will be coming.

Overall the DFI LANPARTY i have (look above for specs) is a great board. It really is built for over clocking the BIOS is proof of this. I still have a lot to learn about most everything so I will be spending a lot of time on over clocking forums with it. My favorite thing about it so far is the fact that you can save up to 4 CMOS settings for overclocking this makes things go so much faster when you dont have to rest values for everything.

The Zalman CPU fan needs a great big pat on the back. Im using it on its quiet mode and i cant hear it (120 mm fan) yet it seems to be keeping my cpu nice and cool in the BIOS. the ntune system monitoring utility sucks for telling me what my CPU temp is so i need to find something else. Maybe im just reading it wrong its just not easy to make out. Anyone have a suggestion for a CPU temp and GPU temp monitoring utility. Or advice on using ntune?

My big thing for this rig is going to be overclocking. I know i will be able to get my GPU at at least 420 core (comes at 350) and my CPU at 2.6-.7 (comes at 2.2) once that is done and i have nice profiles set up for them this will be a really nice rig for gaming (it already is stock). Overall im very happy with everything frustrated here and there with the raid and the memory but other than that i love it all.

Please feel free to ask questions or give hints and feedback. When i get sometime i will start posting other things as well.

EDIT:pix FIXED as well as my horrible grammer in places.

Last edited:
Sounds awesome man, I had a similar issue with raid in my last system took me close to 4 hours to figure it out as well. (its fun to learn though :p)

hey aprox do you notice the diffrence between the 1 gig corsair and the 2gig? when im RMa this bad pecies back i might just keep it and run two gigs if its worht the extra 118. any ideas?

Adding a few more pictures.

67uxk6.jpg

67uxkg.jpg

67uxkk.jpg

67uxpi.jpg

67uyky.jpg

need to take some better ones none of these tunred out that great. Need to get a new camera too hehe.

I would really consider getting a different cooler and running your RAM in dual channel. I would check out the Arctic freezer 64 :) Dual channel really helps, esp since AMD64's LOVE good memory speeds.

the ram is running in dual channel i think.... And the Zalman is supost to do a really good job at cooling for the low decimals it produces. Why do you think it doesnt?

EDIT: that pic up there shows ram running in sigle channel in slots. But the cpu-z is reflecting the current set up im thinkin it is dual channel.

The two orange ones are the dual channel slots. I would go for the dual channel and get a diff cooler, but im sure that system in still kicking with only single channel

yah sorry the pics show me running in single but i am very much running in dual at the moment. will update pics later tonight.

if i add two more of identical sticks too the yellow slots as well will all of it run in dual channel mode?>

If you have all four the same it will be in dual channel, but Im not sure which slots are dual on that board... I cant tell just by looking at it.

the cpu-z info above confirmes im running in dual channel mode. I know the orange are dual channel. We will see once new ram gets here... Why you not like the zalman? seems to be doing really well. Anyone have a idea about a beter cpu/gpu monitoring utility. Something that just gives me a temp in digital form? reading the manual for the ntune mayber im using it wrong

From the pic you posted of the "memory" tab of CPU-Z it shows that the Mem is running "dual channel"... Hmmmm, odd. Even though you have your mem in slots #3 and #4. Recheck the MoBo booklet to see if they are indeed in their correct slots.

Also here's a link that gives a ton of info on tweaking all of your setting in your BIOS.

The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide

It's a nice setup VenomXt, very nice.

Last edited:
VenomXt said:
the cpu-z info above confirmes im running in dual channel mode. I know the orange are dual channel. We will see once new ram gets here... Why you not like the zalman? seems to be doing really well. Anyone have a idea about a beter cpu/gpu monitoring utility. Something that just gives me a temp in digital form? reading the manual for the ntune mayber im using it wrong

Your cooler looks like it is covering your other two RAM dimms. I dont think thats good at all :p and its getting really close to your video card

ONCE AGAIN PICS ARE OUTDATED lol ram is IN ORANGE SLOTS will update the ram pics tonight.

Thanks gonnads i hope you will help me tweak it. Im really looking forward to pushing it i want to be able to break 5500-6000 in 3dmark.. i dont knowif i will be able to. Thanks zeke the cooler is big but its not touching anything. the air flow in the case is really good tonight i will take some more detailed pictures so you all can see the set up better.

Added some recent pics. They show ram in dual channel slots and they show space between zalman cpu cooler and copper heatsink for GPU cooler...

686fzn.jpg

686g5h.jpg

686g75.jpg

686gbt.jpg

On a side note something appears to be up with my n tune program (used for them and voltages) showes my case temp at 96 and my CPU at 87. so i think its switched. hehe dont knwo how to fix it any ideas?

figures though. I knew it was coming but stil.. i refuse to think that my rig is lame now lol. .... besides i can allways upgrade to this cad in 6months or so... *crys*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back