Media Players

luish

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey !

I was wondering what media player are you using and why ?
Which one do you think it is the best overall.

I used a lot Media Player Classic and WMP v11.0.

Just saw the new (maybe old) BS player and was just wondering..

I mainly use VLC, but sometimes I like to use Media Player Classic.

For music I use iTunes 7.

Mainly WMP for video (I've got a crappy monitor which is darker than normal... it's easy to make the dark vids more bright)
For music, foobar2000.

I always go back and forth, VLC for videos, and between Winamp and WMP for music.

WMP for everything (currently WMP11 Beta 2).

WMP11 for music. Library management is awesome in v11. :)
VLC or WMP11 (w/ ffdshow) for video.

media player classic because it's the best windows player ;)

winamp or foobar for music

I can't for the life of me figure out why vlc can play just bout everything and you don't ever need a codec

it even plays unfinnished downloads, the lates version will actually repair an unfinnished download

can someone tell me why other media players need codecs and can't play unfinnished videos where vlc has no problem?

Last edited:
aha

why is it able to play unfinnished downloads?, why can't other players do that?

and why don't other players use the same codec pac?

I can't for the life of me figure out why vlc can play just bout everything and you don't ever need a codec

it uses ffmpeg, encoding/decoding lib which is capable of playing most formats out there (VC-1 included as of recently)

it even plays unfinnished downloads, the lates version will actually repair an unfinnished download

just reconstructs the avi index, nothing more. same deal for mpeg ps

can someone tell me why other media players need codecs and can't play unfinnished videos where vlc has no problem?

other media players rely on directshow, which is one of VLC's weaknesses. it can't utilize it so is limited only to ffmpeg. meaning poor AVC performance and no dxva. another weakness is the interface. the good looking (wxwidgets) has crappy seeking and the skins are just terrible IMO. also far too many bugs but that can be expected with so many natively supported formats.

other players do use ffmpeg. the best (far less buggy than VLC, virtually no overhead, plays more formats than VLC eg real media) is mplayer

BSPlayer for most things. MPC for everything else. If I could get MPC set up with all my keyboard shortcuts how I want them I'd use it for everything.

Foobar2000 for music (like the small footprint and stripped down look - it does the job too).....

PowerDVD for DVDs....

WMP for the rest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back