• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Media Players

luish

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey !

I was wondering what media player are you using and why ?
Which one do you think it is the best overall.

I used a lot Media Player Classic and WMP v11.0.

Just saw the new (maybe old) BS player and was just wondering..

Kr0m

Mainly WMP for video (I've got a crappy monitor which is darker than normal... it's easy to make the dark vids more bright)
For music, foobar2000.

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
I can't for the life of me figure out why vlc can play just bout everything and you don't ever need a codec

it even plays unfinnished downloads, the lates version will actually repair an unfinnished download

can someone tell me why other media players need codecs and can't play unfinnished videos where vlc has no problem?

Last edited:

vertigo

OSNN Senior Addict
I can't for the life of me figure out why vlc can play just bout everything and you don't ever need a codec
it uses ffmpeg, encoding/decoding lib which is capable of playing most formats out there (VC-1 included as of recently)

it even plays unfinnished downloads, the lates version will actually repair an unfinnished download
just reconstructs the avi index, nothing more. same deal for mpeg ps

can someone tell me why other media players need codecs and can't play unfinnished videos where vlc has no problem?
other media players rely on directshow, which is one of VLC's weaknesses. it can't utilize it so is limited only to ffmpeg. meaning poor AVC performance and no dxva. another weakness is the interface. the good looking (wxwidgets) has crappy seeking and the skins are just terrible IMO. also far too many bugs but that can be expected with so many natively supported formats.

other players do use ffmpeg. the best (far less buggy than VLC, virtually no overhead, plays more formats than VLC eg real media) is mplayer

BSPlayer for most things. MPC for everything else. If I could get MPC set up with all my keyboard shortcuts how I want them I'd use it for everything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies