Media Player Suggestions?

For watching content with subtitles VLC is about the last one to use.

VLC works perfectly with subtitles ... in most cases if the subtitles are named the same as the video file with the srt extension it works perfectly.

Also if you have videos that have multiple subtitle tracks (mpeg4 container, matroska container) it will allow you to easily select between them.

I rip most of my movies with Handbrake.

VLC subtitle support is broken at best.

I really fail to understant its popularity - on windows at least - as there are far more capable media players around.

For instance, on Windows the following setup:

MPC-HC 32bit, LAV Filters, madVR and Reclock will play 1080p Hi10P content on a low end intel dual core with minimal frame drops. Jump up to a high end dual core of either brand or even up to quad and you get 1080p playback smooth as butter.

VLC on windows really should be the last desperate attempt to get your content to play. Linux users would be better served with MplayerX as are mac users I believe but don't hold me to that.

I use handbrake to rip all my movies as well. They all go to .mkv format. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't burn subtitles into an mkv file.

VLC subtitle support is broken at best.

I really fail to understant its popularity - on windows at least - as there are far more capable media players around.

For instance, on Windows the following setup:

MPC-HC 32bit, LAV Filters, madVR and Reclock will play 1080p Hi10P content on a low end intel dual core with minimal frame drops. Jump up to a high end dual core of either brand or even up to quad and you get 1080p playback smooth as butter.

VLC on windows really should be the last desperate attempt to get your content to play. Linux users would be better served with MplayerX as are mac users I believe but don't hold me to that.

So you suggest installing those 4 separate things to get great playback?

I found this guide, what are your thoughts on it, because it adds in Haali's & FFDshow as options as well..

I sent you a PM with all the links you need.

You are unlikely to need ffdshow. It is significantly slower at decoding than LAV filters (find a very grainy 1080p video and run it through both to see the difference) and doesn't support 10bit h264 properly either.

Haali is pretty standard :)

Awesome, yea I am going to do this since I am about to do a fresh install of windows. Going to be sweet.

So I just did the fresh install, followed those instructions for the codec setup.

And I don't know if it's just my mind playing games or it's actually that much better. But the show I was watching before, looks 100x better now.

madvr is substantially better at playing videos that are scaled up or down from actual size.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back