Media Player Suggestions?

Android412

OSNN Addict
For quite awhile now I've been using Media Player Classic HC combined with CCCP codec pack. It works great, does everything I want.

However, every once and awhile I run into a file that was just encoded wrong/funny that MPC HC doesn't play right, usually too fast, or no sound (rare, but it happens, usually F1 races for some reason). I try opening it in Window Media Player 12, and it plays fine. For the amount that it this happens, I could care less...if it didn't look SO much better then MPC HC

And that's my only complaint, is that WMP has a cleaner picture.

So why not use WMP you say, well I hate the user interface, and it doesn't play everything.

So my question(s) is:

1. Am I just seeing things, or is this something other people have noticed too?

2. And what other options would you recommend? And why? (Which I assume most are going to say VLC, but I'd like to see if anything else gets recommended)

Android412

I use KM Player as it can play just about anything without additional codecs.

Enable the advanced menu for even more options including screen captures.

KM Player

Last edited:
For watching content with subtitles VLC is about the last one to use.

I never had an issue with VLC. The only complaint I have with it is that sound is some times screwy.

Ever tried KM Player Johnny?

It is rated by many sites as the very best free media player.

Go to options in KM Player after install and enable the advanced menu for more options to use for playback/etc. then you will probably ever use.

Here is one site: Best Free Media Player

Go to options in KM Player after install and enable the advanced menu for more options to use for playback/etc. then you will probably ever use.

Hmm, I like it.

Took awhile to go through all the options to get it configured the way I want. Which is almost a feature and a downfall in itself, that there's SO much available to be customized...but it can be hard to find certain options when you want them.

The only downfalls I can find is that it doesn't playback DTS HD MA/Dolby True HD track (I googled around a bit for a solution, but the one I found said it "kinda worked", and would randomly crash the player), and seemed to have problems with some m2ts

And I set it up so when I double click the screen it goes full screen, just doesn't seem to always register the double click (with certain file formats) which in turn pauses it, which is kind of annoying.

Definitely has potential, but I don't think it's quite ready to replace MPC HC for me yet.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

P.S. I was messing around with some of the renderer settings in MPC HC and seem to have improved the picture, so I might have solved my own problem.

I will check it out. Thanks for the info. :)

Hey there, kinda along the same lines as this problem.
I have been using MPCHT for a while, it plays the video perfectly and it will deal with AC3 encoded files well. But when I try to play DTS encoded files (through SPDIF) the sound is all choppy. VLC will play the DTS files just fine, its sends my Denon receiver into Dolby Digital which is what I want. I can't use VLC however because the computer its on is rocking 1 gb of ram on windows 7 basic (with a 7900gt ko card). MPC works fine on this and the video doesn't get choppy but with VLC it does on the big files (10+gb) but we can't seem to get MPC to use DTS correctly. We have 5.1 surround through the receiver which is why we want it to output correctly.
Any Help?
I've tried lots of things already with filters and such, does anybody know of another media player (paid or free) that isn't resource intensive but that works with DTS audio maybe?

Good luck with that. That's just not enough ram to allow any media player to handle (most) files that contain DTS audio and what I'd assume is high bit rate video, especially files that are over 10GB!

Good luck with that. That's just not enough ram to allow any media player to handle (most) files that contain DTS audio and what I'd assume is high bit rate video, especially files that are over 10GB!
Is DTS harder to run than AC3? I can run AC3 files perfectly through MPC, VLC will play most of the DTS files but interestingly enough, the computer cant handle inception through vlc at the exploding dream part (MPC can handle it fine). It's just DTS that doesnt work through MPC, I downloaded AC3Filter and it allows MPC to play the DTS audio fine but it seems like the video and audio are getting out of sync using this (at least I hope thats what the problem is and that I didn't mess something up that was working before). It's just annoying, like if I could take the DTS codec from VLC and make it work in MPC it would be good lol. I'd buy more ram for the system but its running ddr and that stuff is friggin expensive now. can't justify the cost.

Yes, DTS is usually harder to process.

What speed ram do you need, I have a crapload sitting around...

Yes, DTS is usually harder to process.

What speed ram do you need, I have a crapload sitting around...
Its an Asus A8N-E board, it was running pc3200 back in the day but now its got 4 sticks of pc2700 256mb ram that I stole from a Dell somewhere.
It's kinda surprising that it even runs :D

Its an Asus A8N-E board, it was running pc3200 back in the day but now its got 4 sticks of pc2700 256mb ram that I stole from a Dell somewhere.
It's kinda surprising that it even runs :D

Hmmm. Let me look around, I might have some 512 sticks of 3200 somewhere.

Hmmm. Let me look around, I might have some 512 sticks of 3200 somewhere.
Don't worry about it :)

I found some 512mb sticks of 2700 ram on ebay for 7 bucks a piece I bought 3 of them (only 3 available) so I guess I'll be running 1768 mb of ram (assuming they all work) :D
Even though I know thats still a small bit of ram for what I'm trying to do lol.

So I just got my ram, Feel kinda stupid with 1.75gb of ram (wish he had 4 sticks of 512mb). So chances that adding 768mb of ram made a difference?
Keep in mind I'm running windows 7 Basic. And on that note, would making it 4X512mb sticks be worth it (2gb total)?
-Jack

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back