Media Player in Server03?

polarbear_ak

OSNN Junior Addict
I am trying to play some movies using media player in windows 2003 server and I keep getting "Overlay mode not available" I heard that this was because server was not built to run movies and games as such, but I also heard that there was a way to fix the registry to make it play them.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Polar

PolarBear,

By default Windows Server 2003 has hardware acceleration disabled for graphics cards, meaning only 2D and limited 3D capability is there. We can enable all this painlessly and without much effort. You will still be required to install 3D enabled drivers (like ATi Catalyst or nVIDIA Detonator drivers) for Windows 2000/XP. These can be installed on Windows Server 2003 but only after hardware acceleration is enabled will they work (and display the 3D related tabs in display properties.)

Right Click on Desktop >> Select Properties >> Select Settings tab >> Click Advanced >> Select Troubleshoot tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider all the way to Full >> Click OK >> OK

That’s not all, DirectX (8.1) DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration is also disabled by default on Windows Server 2003. To enable:

Click Start >> Run >> Type dxdiag & enter >> Select Display tab >> Click Enable on all Acceleration options >> Click Exit

Don't forget to install DX9.0

Heeter

Many Many Many Thanks
That worked just fine
I was just to tired to remember where to look for that
Again thanks
Polar

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back