me: im impatient

J

jamespond

my problem is this:
i switch on my computer(amd athlon 1600 with xp)and xp starts to load, it takes aboout 1.5 minutes to load to the desktop,then the computer hangs for about 50 seconds and then continues to load in for another minute(i timed it).my friend has windows 98 and his takes alot less time to load also shutting down takes even longer than on windows 98.also every five minutes or so my harddrive will kick in and start making the noise it makes when its loading something in(this lasts for about 1 minute)but im not loading anything in.

is this normal

im having nothing but problems with XP, it takes mine 1:30 to load up, thats dam slow, if I cant get everything running smooth soon im going back to win2kpro, had no problems with that at all.

HAve you tried Bootvis or tweaking your services?

My Athlon 600 takes about 50 seconds at most!

try to disconnect all USB hardware...

Mine (T-bird 1400) boots up a lot slower with an USB
webcam and scanner plugged in.

After i unplugged those 2, xp boots up in half
a minute

Greetinx Foxkuil

Yes, jamespond, in my experience XP does take a lot longer to load and shutdown, than Windows 98 (God bless it). Think yourself lucky you're not dual booting. As for the hard disk activity. Do you have file indexing enabled? This process is supposed to speed up the time XP takes to access files. IMO the nuisance value far outweighs the, supposed, speed gain. To turn it off, go to Start/Search/ For Files and Folders. In the left frame, choose "Change Preferences", again in the left frame, choose "With Indexing Service" and choose "No,Do not enable Indexing Service". Hope that quietens things down a little. :)

Glad to help, jamespond. Now if I could find a similar button on the wife................. :D

:confused: Its really ironic that my PC boots to the desktop in 16 seconds in XP with USB stuff on as well (Athlon 1.4 266), but like takes double that time closing down. Well it actually takes longer to shutdown then my PIII650.

mine booted quite quickly, about 45 seconds, until I plugged it in to a lan. Now it takes another 50 - 60 seconds while it looks for all the connections.

If I disable the NIC cards in device manager, then I get my speed back.

mine booted quite quickly, about 45 seconds, until I plugged it in to a lan. Now it takes another 50 - 60 seconds while it looks for all the connections.

Try disabling XP's auto IP feature and actually set the IP manually. That brings the speed back up. I've tried it and it works :)

I'm just curious, why do some people have an issue with shutdown times?

When I'm ready to shutdown, I just press the power button and let XP soft shutdown do its thing. I walk away about 2 seconds after I press the button. You can count on XP shutting down right, unlike 98.

aint got no issue with it taking ages shutting down, just think its ironic how my system starts up quicker. Win2k was quicker and I knew that was shutting down successfully.:eek: luckily im glad i leave my pc on most the time

Originally posted by gunkhead
:confused: Its really ironic that my PC boots to the desktop in 16 seconds in XP with USB stuff on as well (Athlon 1.4 266), but like takes double that time closing down. Well it actually takes longer to shutdown then my PIII650.

Im running a P3 1gig with 512Meg of ram. And I too get to desktop in about 16seconds and about 5 seconds to shut down.

Dont even understand why it takes so long for jamespond's machine to boot.

Ok i went to control panel and then network connections there was two connections (dialup and Lan high speed internet) seeing as i dont use highspeed i disabled it and now my comp boots in 1 minute altogether.So thank you everyone:) :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back