MCSE - Big commitment?

Petros

Thief IV
I just got this email a few minutes ago at work, and I'm considering taking up the offer since it will be free. Is an MCSE cert worth all the effort put into it? Here's what it said:

"I have a source for an MCSE training and certification program. The program takes six months to complete and classes meet on Saturdays from 8 to 5. Funding through Tuition Assistance is a distinct possibility, so if you’re interested stop by and see me for details."

What is MCSE's practicality? What kind of jobs require it?

I graduated just over a year ago with a degree in information systems, and in addition to that some companies I applied with desired MCSE certifications. Few require them, but having a cert definitely gives you an advantage over competition when applying for an IT job. It's also possible that having one would increase your pay a bit. I would definitely look into it if it's free.

I did a five week MCSE course, I guess 6 months gives you the chance to cover one unit, get the exam done, then move on.

I was thinking that 6 months is quite lengthy, but I'm sure it's comprehensive. It's definitely a commitment, though.

muzikool said:
I graduated just over a year ago with a degree in information systems, and in addition to that some companies I applied with desired MCSE certifications. Few require them, but having a cert definitely gives you an advantage over competition when applying for an IT job. It's also possible that having one would increase your pay a bit. I would definitely look into it if it's free.

I would add that most IT employers are looking for IS/IT Graduates, but when they want people with experience as well as credentials, they almost always post something like:

Bachelors in IS/IT or related field and 2+ years in an IT setting

Experience and certifications will be considered in lieu of degree...

That plus my Security clearance landed me mine...

Then again I worked in IT/Telecommunications since 1990

and have A+, NET+, SEC+, SERVER+ and working towards Linux and CCNA...

make sure IT is what you want to do before you use up all of your free time.

I took the 6 month course in 1997 and never regretted it. I love what I do, but in speaking with others who I have talked to (recently) about changing employers, they looked at my experience before even looking at my certs. Which I thought was pretty funny! If it's free and you have the time, I say do it. You have nothing to lose, but you would gain an education.

funky dredd said:
You have nothing to lose, but you would gain an education.

I agree that you gain education, but you do have time to lose. There's an opportunity cost for everything, so you'd want to decide if 8-5 on Saturdays is best used up by going to the classes.

muzikool said:
There's an opportunity cost for everything, so you'd want to decide if 8-5 on Saturdays is best used up by going to the classes.

Haha...That's the biggest problem I have with it. I'm going to look at other ways of obtaining the cert and others before I commit to that.

Thanks for the responses, folks! You've really helped me a lot with the information I needed.

Essentially, all you need is study material in order to take the exam. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't matter how you study for it, so you don't have to go to any classes. It's the fee for the test that is pretty expensive, though.

MCSE = Microsoft Certified Software Engineer, so if you're hardcore into visual studio and want a development job, go for it :D

Otherwise look for MCSA, MCP, etc

Yeah you don't need to go to classes, you can get video training like CBT Nuggets which are excellent, but cost a bit though. You can just walk in on the day of the exam if you like but I wouldn't recommend it! First hand teaching is always the best option in my opinion, as long as you have a good teacher who can anwser stupid questions :p The videos are good for studying in your own time.

A good deal of IT employers will favour MS and Cisco qualifications over degrees, the degree gets you the interview and the rest get you the job IMHO ;)

Lord, MCSE = Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, not Software ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, an MCSE isn't focused on software development.

Place I went to for MCSA told me MCSE was software engineer and that they weren't going to pick it up....

microsoft certified system analyst
microsoft certified system engineer

Henyman has his MCSE -- Milking Cows Sideways Expert :p

heh they told me mcsa was systems admin....

surely an accredited MS training centre cant be wrong???

LordOfLA said:
heh they told me mcsa was systems admin....

surely an accredited MS training centre cant be wrong???
They sounds like it.

/me runs

b-b-b-b-but I didnt read it on the internet... so it must be right..... :p

LOL

Lets not forget that MCSEs tie in very well with Network engineering/design

I STILL dont have mine...

Im just lazy I guess

I got A+ NET+ SEC+ and SEVER+ all of which can be used as my electives for my MCSA/SE track

*grumbles*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back