McAfee woes

Nismo83

OSNN AZN Addict
I'm using McAfee Antivirus and when during the startup, it just load very slowly and the HD is not blinking until a while then it load into the taskbar. Why this is happenning?

McAfee checks a bunch of files on start up as scanning all files that are loading into memory (as any anti-virus program does). Any anti-virus program will take a hit on your system performance, but it shouldn't stop everything wholesale.

The problem is likely the same problem everyone else has with McAfee: it just plain sucks. Starting with version 5, they revamped the product for Win2k and when they did, they screwed it up royally. Sucked the life out of every machine I put it on. Switched to Norton Anti-Virus and it has worked really well for me for years without taking a serious hit on performance.

My 2 cents. :D

Try uninstalling McAfee and see if your performance improves dramatically. Then you'll know if it is McAfee or something else. But it's probably McAfee.

See this thread in the forums for more opinions:

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13070

i'm using Norton at first but it kept crash on me... (Norton has encountered a problem).. Yeap... that's true, McAfee Antivirus is behind all this problem.

I am a computer reseller and I see many people with problems with McAfee.. I recommend uninstalling it and getting Norton Antivirus.. you can also set some options to tell NAV not to scan files when 'run or opened' which will save some time..

hey guys.. after much try, i found out that disabling auto-startup of Mcafee firewalls solve the problem.. Anyone McAfee user(s) out there, please try it out and provide some feedback here. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back