McAfee Problem

Xie, i did the Windows update. What now?

~bk said:
Xie, i did the Windows update. What now?
Well if you your all patched up you might wanna do one last scan just to be sure and if it finds nothing your all set. :)

I will scan my computer right now. :)

Always keep your windows updated :) I would check once a week or so. This new sasser worm installs without any user intervention through a SSL vulnerability, the patch was released 2 weeks ago.

j79zlr said:
Always keep your windows updated :) I would check once a week or so. This new sasser worm installs without any user intervention through a SSL vulnerability, the patch was released 2 weeks ago.
Yeah if it wasn't coded so poorly it probably would be spreading like wild fire

I scanned my computer and I'm getting a virus alert in the following folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

:(

Well you can probably go thru the file and delete everything except the "localhost 127.0.0.1" line. It's not really infected just filled w/ bad date from virus trying to make you go to bad sites. After you clean it out you should be all set and be able to get to the AV sites again. ;)

Thanks for your help Xie and j79zlr. Everything is fine now. :)

No wait, actually.. i'll post later.

So you're saying delete everything except "127.0.0.1 localhost"

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

yep, that is what is there by default.

Yeah your host file should be a bunch of commented lines (ones w/ " # ") and then just "127.0.0.1 localhost" and thats it .. save it and your set.

-edit- Also if your using something like notepad to edit it make sure it doesn't add a .txt extention ... if it does just rename it "host".

Just for anyone else that might get this worm or knows someone that has gotten them MS has a nice site about this worm. The site also has a "Check My PC for Infection" button.

You can use this tool to search your hard disk for and try to remove Sasser.A and Sasser.B.

-edit- lol site might help .. here

This is what I've done. I used the Sony VAIO Recovery Console which was in my computer. Did all my backup. Installed McAfee and updating it right now.

After that I will do the Win-update.

Since its a Sasser worm, you can go here and find the instructions to remove it. You can either download DATs and/or you can remove it manually, its all in that link. Hope it is of some help. ;)

I have set up a Firewall and used the link that Xie provided for the Sasser worm. I scanned my computer and so far no Sasser worm has been detected. Hopefully it will stay like this. :)

Thank you very much for your help, Xie and j79zlr. :)
Thanks for the link hsn. ;)

Service Pack 2? I don't think it has been released yet.... or has it?

No it is still in beta, I wouldn't install it on anything but a testing PC

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back