MBR rather Than GRUB?

Slimfady

OSNN Dino Addcit
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if it's possible to install Linux & Windows XP and select your OS at startup with MBR rather than GRUB?

Thanx

why? I believe it could be done (from my knowledge of how MBR operates), but GRUB is pretty nifty and desinged for this function. There ARE reasons people go MBR --> GRUB yah know! ;)

What do you mean by using MBR instead of GRUB? The Master Boot Record (MBR) is just a generic term for the part of the drive that contains the partition table, among other things. LILO and GRUB are boot loaders that can be installed on the MBR.

Did you instead mean to say that you want to use the NT boot loader instead? If that's the case, there's a HOWTO available here that shows you how to do it for a WinNT+Linux dual-boot setup:
http://www.pmg.lcs.mit.edu/~chandra/install/install_dualboot.html

The same instructions should apply to a WinXP+Linux setup, apart from the fact that the default install directory for XP is WINDOWS rather than WINNT, so don't change that portion of the boot.ini file. :)

Mainframeguy said:
Because the sky is blue. ;)

NetRyder said:
...Because the sky is blue. ;)

heh - alternatively "Because we/I can"? Yeah, and I was of course assuming the NT boot loader was what he referred to - your post cleared that up and gave him what he needed, so a little rep your way. I was trying to sound the note of caution - plus having a curious nature I guess (not always helpful on forums of course!)

NetRyder said:
Because the sky is blue. ;)

Actually its black - dust and gasses refract the sunlight passing through the atmosphere such that you get a blue tint further towards to horizon.

Just to be a smart ass of course :p

thank you all, works like charm and had some of the terms cleared up in my head. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back