MBR rather Than GRUB?

Slimfady

OSNN Dino Addcit
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if it's possible to install Linux & Windows XP and select your OS at startup with MBR rather than GRUB?

Thanx

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
why? I believe it could be done (from my knowledge of how MBR operates), but GRUB is pretty nifty and desinged for this function. There ARE reasons people go MBR --> GRUB yah know! ;)

What do you mean by using MBR instead of GRUB? The Master Boot Record (MBR) is just a generic term for the part of the drive that contains the partition table, among other things. LILO and GRUB are boot loaders that can be installed on the MBR.

Did you instead mean to say that you want to use the NT boot loader instead? If that's the case, there's a HOWTO available here that shows you how to do it for a WinNT+Linux dual-boot setup:
http://www.pmg.lcs.mit.edu/~chandra/install/install_dualboot.html

The same instructions should apply to a WinXP+Linux setup, apart from the fact that the default install directory for XP is WINDOWS rather than WINNT, so don't change that portion of the boot.ini file. :)

Mainframeguy said:
Because the sky is blue. ;)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
NetRyder said:
...Because the sky is blue. ;)
heh - alternatively "Because we/I can"? Yeah, and I was of course assuming the NT boot loader was what he referred to - your post cleared that up and gave him what he needed, so a little rep your way. I was trying to sound the note of caution - plus having a curious nature I guess (not always helpful on forums of course!)

NetRyder said:
Because the sky is blue. ;)
Actually its black - dust and gasses refract the sunlight passing through the atmosphere such that you get a blue tint further towards to horizon.

Just to be a smart ass of course :p

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut