maxtor or western digital?

Kush

High On Life!
im probably ganna buy a 300 gb hard drive soon, but i now believe that maxtor is better than western digital. what do you guys think which is better the new maxtor drives? or the new western digital?

i am planing to get a new maxtor very soon :D never has any problems with em.

If you plan on using it just for storage, i recommend the 300 gig 5400 rpm Maxtor.

why only 5400? surely a 7200 is better + much faster ;)

hahaha HELL No its not ganna be just for storage! high speed everything, just think of it as i want a ferrari to be running the pc

then what isnt for storage? what do u mean server etc...

IE, not the drive your OS and apps are on. The lifespan of a 5400 RPM drive will be much longer.

WD. storage = 5400rpm, 2mb cache,... active=sata or 7200, 8mb cache

Goatman said:
I say go WD.they are faster, and more reliable.

Personally i've had nothing but trouble with WD. Wouldnt ever go back to them after moving over to Seagate.

Maxtor.

Whichever you can get for cheapest. WD, Maxtor, IBM, Hitachi, Seagate....all made by the same factory in Taiwan ;)

asking this question is same as asking AMD or Intel ... your never gonna get 100% either way .. its all personal choice :)

at the computer store I worked at in the summer, the only drives we ever had to RMA were Maxtors.

leedogg said:
Whichever you can get for cheapest. WD, Maxtor, IBM, Hitachi, Seagate....all made by the same factory in Taiwan ;)

there happens to be a seagate factory in minnesota, they just so happen to make hard drives there.

Personally, i entrust my data to Western Digital, i have had a seagate, it sucked, and maxtor which i have also owned is slower, but as you say, dependable. you say that you have sata, if that is what your running, what i am about to type doesnt apply. but if you put a 5400 rpm 2mb buffer HD on the same bus as a 7200rpm, 8mb buffer, you will cause the better and faster drive to slow down in its times. if anything. just keep them on oppisite busses. but your running sata, so ide wont matter.

Toretto -

What you said above is only true on older windows OS's. XP can set DMA speed independently, not sure about 2K...

dreamliner77 said:
Toretto -

What you said above is only true on older windows OS's. XP can set DMA speed independently, not sure about 2K...

so apparently xp can, but can the motherboard, i guess i dont know enough to know that.

I've had good luck with Western Digital drives and Maxtor's though I think the WD are a little quieter compared to the Maxtor's based on what I've heard in my own use of them. To be honest as is the case with AMD or Intel no matter who you go with you should get a good drive as most of the answers are what people have dealt with while thats good to know about the issues not always the best way to make your decision on

Some like Seagate (me being one of them), while others like Western Digital and Maxtor, and I don't know if anyone likes Hitachi, but I've seen them around.
It's all personal choice as everyone else has been saying. Choose the drives brands you like and trust. If you still don't know what to choose... randomly pick. :D

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back