Maxtor drives

G

Gouk

Man...Maxtor sucks!

I just had my HDD replaced for free after i got a S>M>A>R>T error after only 6 months.

Now my new Maxtor is failing after only 3 weeks!

Drive Health is already predicting its failure wheras my 2 year old 20Gb Western Digital HDD is perfectly fine.

I had the same thing, the smart disk failure, and you can't turn it off. But I am hoping this drive will last a bit longer.

yep maxtor sucks. I have one could not agree more. fixin to put western digital in.

I have nothing but Maxtors...they've been as reliable as anything else on the market. One is going on 7 years old, which is positively ancient in the computer terms. It's small, but it works fine as a backup. I just bought another Maxtor a few months ago and it's also doing well. Just my $.02 worth.

hmm .. so far i don't have any problem since i've upgrade my computer ....

I have tried maxtors, but I think that WesterDigital makes a better product.

Interesting, I use nothing but Maxtors. I build quite a few computers in the course of a year and generally support what I build. I've never had a Maxtor failure, but have had a few Western Digital failures.

I loved Maxtor HD so much.. It doesn't give me any prob.. but WD HD on my old PC s**ks. THe motor went kabooooom... and all my precious data are gone... from then i dun trust WD. :)

I gotta say, I have had no prob with either Maxtor or Western Digital, I use Maxtor as my Primary and Western Digital as a backup, but it is small and slow.

If we are going to get into HDD Manufacturer bashing then I have got to place IBM in the direct firing line, I had a IBM DTLA 307030, no end of problems it went bellyup a few times, recovered it using the IBM Drive Fitness Test, then finally last week it died on last time, the noises it was making, they really do let you know they arent happy.
I cant be bothered sending it back to IBM so anyone got any Hex-Star screw bits, I wanna take this thing apart and see if I can find how it was making the noises. I've kinda always wanted to see a Hard Drive internals myself. Play with them a bit, and learn their basic mode of operation, and things like that.
Dont direct me to any sites explaining how they work for me, I know how they work I want to see it and things like that.

Well if you got a maxtor before they merged with quantum(how ever you spell it lol) then you got a good hard drive. But ever since that merger their product sucks. They did the merger about a year ago, give or take a few months. The thing that pissed me off they put the quantum drives in Maxtor boxes! The utility disk won't work with it because it says it's not a Maxtor drive! The maxtor drive I have is actually a Quantum fireball hard drive. When I called them about this, they responded that a card was included in box saying that this was a quantum drive. I found it, but it's the princible of the thing. I bought a Maxtor, and thats what I expected to get. So their response was to send it back to them and they would replace it. and pay for shipping? Well, with out a hard drive my pc won't work, and how long is this gonna take? 4 weeks? What happens to my data? Back it up. Well to much trouble for me so you just lost a customer over a problem you caused. Well they did not seem to care so my next drive? not a Maxtor!!!

At the moment I've got two Maxtor 40 gigs doing a beautiful job...I love 'em....

But I've had a Maxtor go bad in the past. I've had a WD go bad in the past. I once had an IBM go bad. I once had shingles. I got over it.

For ATA 100 go IBM GXP 120. Fastest ATA 100 on the market today with IBM patented power management, allowing for the coolest hard drive temperatures around as well!:D

To me it sounds like all HD's have weaknesses - I'm about to buy a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 80GB Fluid next week.. I've read a ton of tests and so far the IBM disks beats everyone on speed, but they are also by far the loudest - from the user test's I've read the Maxtor is the most stabile..

I've used Seagate, Western Digital, IBM, and Maxtor drives. I've watched the Seagate, WD, and IBM drives die. The Maxtor drives are as perfect as the first day I bought them. Heck, I still have an OLD 650 meg Maxtor drive in one of my systems and it is still going strong. I prefer Maxtor but to each their own.

seems all major name brand harddrives are basically excellent. if one brand failed horribly compared to the others, it simply wouldn't be in business anymore.

some people i guess have bad luck with a certain brand sometimes... it could be a power supply issue, physical abuse, or just plain luck of the draw.

can't we all just get along?? :D
*/hides*

seems all major name brand harddrives are basically excellent. if one brand failed horribly compared to the others, it simply wouldn't be in business anymore.

:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back