• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Maxtor D740X Diamondplus 60 or 80GB noisy

C

chkhong

My hard disk seems to be quite noisy despite all the reviews describing it as a reasonably quiet drive. There is an especially annoying medium-high frequency buzz that can be intrusive.
Anyone else find this? My Maxtor isn't a fluid bearing model (BB suffix rather than JB on model #)
Anyone else with similar observations or solutions? I don't really want to have to use up my last 5.25" slot for a SilentDrive housing...:confused:

R

Rebs

noisy maxtor

I used to have a noisy Maxtor HDD but since I installed a delta fan, the offending drive has quieted down. :D

C

chkhong

Thanks guys.
Where does the Delta fan go? HD cooler or case fan? I thought Deltas were supposed to be noisy... I already have a 92mm Ultraquiet case fan. Interested to hear from you again Rebs.
Gonzo, I don't suppose you have the URL for the Maxtor dampening tool? Couldn't find it unfortunately.
I went and got Noisecontrol's dampening cage- it's a 5.25" cage which support the HD on rubber bungies - the Maxtor is now damn near silent - I was a little sceptical but it's excellent. A little pricey but well worth it in my circumstances.

S

stuy_b

My D740X drives are very quiet, the case fans make more noise in my rig!

If your using an Intel motherboard & the Intel Application Acceleration v2 program, you can set the drive to performance or noise.. its a slider.

R

Rebs

Originally posted by stuy_b
My D740X drives are very quiet, the case fans make more noise in my rig!

If your using an Intel motherboard & the Intel Application Acceleration v2 program, you can set the drive to performance or noise.. its a slider.
That's precisely the point stuy_b once the delta starts screaming
you won't hear anything else :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grovo_test