Devious

OSNN Newbie
MSI NEO Series
Intel 875p Chipset
Pentium 4 @3.0ghz
1gb ram
80GB Western Digital HD
Just added a Maxtor 250GB Hd.

Maxtor was installed wrong(i belive) and now my Bios-Winxp And every Maxtor Applications (ie:MaxBlaster MaxPower)
are having a difficult time reading the HD.

What i know. SlipStream a Service Pack (SP2) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta...-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
Into Winxp Bootable CD http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp#nero
2. If you created a partition in Windows prior to slipstreaming SP2, you'll see a 137 GB partition. You need to delete that partition within Windows setup (the 'D' key when it asks you to select an install location) and create a new one. If SP2 is integrated on your setup CD, you should be able to create a full 250 GB partition. Originally posted by: MrChad
1. You don't need the MaxBlaster software. If you installed it, remove it.
2. If you created a partition in Windows prior to slipstreaming SP2, you'll see a 137 GB partition. You need to delete that partition within Windows setup (the 'D' key when it asks you to select an install location) and create a new one. If SP2 is integrated on your setup CD, you should be able to create a full 250 GB partition.

....and it should read the HD as 250gb from there....but it dosent. It reads at a whoopin 137GB even with the slipstreamed CD wtih sp2.

and the more i try to reinstall it the more the partition seems to shrink in memory size.. its now @ somewhere near 34GB
.. i was told by <MFG-wifi>" it is a 41 bit driver limit thing"

Would it still apply to me Here? What do i do?
How do i wipe out my 250Gb HD and use it as a bootable Drive so i can use the 80 gb HD for backup?

did you try the links I gave you in IRC #OSNN to get the MAxtor bigdrive thing from their support site?

Did you donwload or run the Ranish Partition tool to check your partition table status? This tool will easily and quickly "flatten" drive if you wish to start from scratch again BTW

[EDIT] someone else welcome this dude to OSNN, I am working and tired and he came to me on AIM and I sent him onto IRC and then here [/EDIT]

i think updateing BIOS was the issue.
Mainframeguy metioned that once in the #OSNN room on mirc.

Devious said:
[06:34] <oODVSOo> still no go
[06:35] <oODVSOo> nothing happens
[06:35] <oODVSOo> no updates
[06:35] <oODVSOo> no reboot
[06:35] <_XbAsEd_> well i'm off to bed .. night all :)
[06:37] <oODVSOo> same here
[06:37] <oODVSOo> i give up

From Irc this AM (UK time)

Originally Posted by Devious
[06:34] <oODVSOo> still no go
[06:35] <oODVSOo> nothing happens
[06:35] <oODVSOo> no updates
[06:35] <oODVSOo> no reboot
[06:35] <_XbAsEd_> well i'm off to bed .. night all :)
[06:37] <oODVSOo> same here
[06:37] <oODVSOo> i give up

That right there was me having issues flashing te bios. i had no idea how to use the commands. i figuered it out i think
i did renamed two bios files msi6852whatever.EXE to bios.exe
and the other isdfl23whatever.420 to bios.420.
Than i made a bootdisk for XP
Placed the bios files into A:
ran bootdisk
when blackscreen showed i typed.
Bios.exe BIos.420 /c
this cleared my bios. than i restarted when everything was COMPLETE!
i was told NOT to restart in middle of process. by mainframeguy. So i didnt.

BIos was the issue. UPDATE BIOS..
I d.led the wrong bios setting however, and somehow it detected 250gb.... so i clean installed XP
than updated it to the right one (so i think.)
but at boot screen it still shows:
Device not found
Bios is not installed.
I went to bios and messed with Promise Driver. and just disabled it. that way no scary Error message shows up.

If you can explain why it says this. than that would be great, However, original problem was solved.

sorry this responce is so unorganized, but thats just life. IM me at drunkenpaui on AIM if you have any questions

Devious said:
sorry this responce is so unorganized
It is. Very much. ;)

So let's get things straight. I'll assume that your motherboard acctually supports 48-bit LBA, it looks new enough. If it doesn't, the best thing is to get a PCI IDE controller that does (most, if not all sold today do).

1. What is the problem right now? Does the computer still boot from the old drive? Does Windows work? Or did you screw up BIOS?

2a. You want the new drive as the Windows drive, right? In order to get the full 250 GB for one partition straight away, you'll need an XP cd with at least SP1 on it. If you're making one, make it an SP2 while you're at it. Try nLite: http://nuhi.msfn.org/

2b. You could also make a small partition just for Windows (say 15-20 GB) and then have all your programs and stuff on a secondary partition (which you set up after installing SP2). This is how run it (but not for that reason).

Don't play around with and maxblast software or whatever they're called. That'll makes things a bright and shiny mess.

What Zedric said :up: :rolleyes: :cool:

Thanks Zedric for "picking up" on that one, I would not have been entirely sure how to address that last post - I think your FUBAR experience is invaluable sometime ;) /me wonders what YOU did with Maxblast to say what you said hehe

Mainframeguy said:
Thanks Zedric for "picking up" on that one, I would not have been entirely sure how to address that last post - I think your FUBAR experience is invaluable sometime ;) /me wonders what YOU did with Maxblast to say what you said hehe
Well after nine years (oh ****, has it been that long!?) of computer support for computer illiterates, you tend to know how to decrypt slightly confused problem descriptions. ;)

Maxblast (and the likes) worked well back in the day when you had to use them. But I never liked the solution and it's allways hell trying to get the damn things off the disks again. ;)

And yeah, I've through some FUBAR cases. :D I remember once sitting trying to get data of a dying (and literally shrieking) disk. Copy some data, drive shrieks and dies. Reboot. Repeat. Scary noise. ;) The customer got me a bottle of wine and a really good book on networking because he was so happy. :)

Reading the post again I realise that it may be working now apart from the fact that he had to disable the Promise controller. Am I posting for no reason? :D

PERFEEEEEEEEEEEEEECT! ALL SETTLED. Bios is uptpdate. and EVERYOEN in the IRC chat and especially this foruM was a great deal of help thanks again.. and heres some money
$$$$$$$ O . o

Devious said:
PERFEEEEEEEEEEEEEECT! ALL SETTLED. Bios is uptpdate. and EVERYOEN in the IRC chat and especially this foruM was a great deal of help thanks again.. and heres some money
$$$$$$$ O . o
Your welcome .. though I did little more then tell you to look for a bios update. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back