Maxtor 120gb Space

• Thread starter WorldWarGeneral
  • Start date
W

WorldWarGeneral

I just installed a new Maxtor 120gb hard drive. Installation seemed to go okay, but when I go to My Computer, it says the total space is 114gb. On my 20gb drive, the total space was 18gb. I assumed the "lost" 2gb was for formatting info, partition info, etc. But why am I missing 4gb now? Is it just that higher-capacity drives take more space for partition/formatting info?

harddrive manufacturers sorta trick us. it goes like this:

they say 120gb = 1,000,000,000 bytes (1,000 mb)

normal 120gb (under windows) = 1,073,741,824 bytes (1024mb)

so you have all 120 billion bytes on your hd... but they only equal 114 real gigabytes.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I feel a little cheated, but I suppose I won't miss the 4gb for a while. ;) 114gb is a lot to fill.

yeah, all drives are like that. you're actually missing 6gb. and 2gb on your 20gb for the same reason. formatting/partitioning tables only take up a couple of mb, at the most.

Originally posted by taurus
so you have all 120 billion bytes on your hd... but they only equal 114 real gigabytes.
Actually it's only 111 "real" gigabytes, so you have 3 gigs extra! :)
Isn't that nice? :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back