Maximum CAT5e cable length?

koko said:
not me! way too insecure. watch out for war drivers. ;)
I'm getting off topic here....

Thats a very generic statement that probably doesn't apply so much to readers of this forum. Out of the box configurations on wireless APs have gotten many people in trouble, but generally some very simple steps (WEP, disable SSID, MAC filtering) can greatly increase the security.

While I could never argue that taking these simple wireless security steps (such as enabling WEP) would make your connection highly secure. It will make it secure enough to avoid the average wardriver. Most wardrivers don't break WEP encryption (even though it isn't very hard to do) Its easy enough for them to drive around picking up default "Wireless" SSID's with no encryption.

Wireless is one of those few technologies where a 10% effort in security can get you a 80% less security incidents.

On a side question, is there such a thing as too short a cable? I seem to recall having difficulties with a 3ft cable once and being told to stick with a 7ft or longer cable...?

I've never had a problem with 3 foot cables before. If you browse around some commercial sites you can see options to buy them in 1 foot lengths.

I suppose that if you got too small (inches) then the twists wouldn't function.

{full-disclosure} my last sentence was 89% guessing

fimchick said:
Anything shorter than 3 ft will give you problems.
Why? I don't see any reason for it whatsoever. Care to explain?

The only problem I would forsee would be me ripping it out of the wall each time I accidentally moved the computer or laptop connected to it :D

i made an 8 inch cat5e to link my router to hub, works as well as all the other cables i have :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back