Max uppgrade for my Mobo

dubstar

format c:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-4B9L7F

although my Mobo is not great, nor my computer.. I would like to know what the max cpu it can hold. where can i find out where my mobo was produced? "S30" isnt much to go on.

also, it has 3 slots for memory (max at 756) would it be best to buy 3x256 or 1x512 + 1x256 or does it not matter with this old of a board?

i found someone using an 950mhz Athlon, but thats the highest i found. thats good enough for me.

but im still wondering about the 3x256 or 1x256 + 1x512 arrangment..

"Anigma S30 Mother Board" just incase anybodys interested

is it possible to have a 950 Athlon (NOT TBRED) ??

Big TIA

Since were talking about it, does anyone know what the highest cpu I can upgrade to using an MSI K7T266 Pro2? I have one combo'ed with an AMD XP1800 running at 1.53ghz. Would I see a noticeable difference by upgading just the CPU? One other question, would an XP 2500 at 333fsb work on a 266 board?

newb...e

Originally posted by segamil
Since were talking about it, does anyone know what the highest cpu I can upgrade to using an MSI K7T266 Pro2? I have one combo'ed with an AMD XP1800 running at 1.53ghz. Would I see a noticeable difference by upgading just the CPU? One other question, would an XP 2500 at 333fsb work on a 266 board?

newb...e

MSI's website says it "supports up to 2600+ or higher processor".. i dont know why they say "or higher processor" they should just tell us the max. on a 266fsb board, you would see slight performance increase if any at all, but the ghz jump would be seen.

MSI's Spec on K7T266 Pro2U

Originally posted by segamil
that's right, an athlon xp 2600+... which is the fastest 266fsb processer made. 2400+ and 2200+ will also work.

dubstar, if your board supports a max of 768mb and has 3 slots, i would assume that each slot has a max of 265mb.

you can tell what the fastest processor you can get is by looking up old amd-made chipsets. i'll do this after work. gotta go.

3 posts all together by one person when it woulda been easier to just edit the first one (woulda made easier reading too imho)... jus spam :eek:

I suppose it would take the maximum AMD athlon cpu that runs 100MHz FSB (if it took a 950MHz I mean - I'm sure the maximum is 1000MHz (1GHz) anyway - although I might be wrong).

I would take a look around for the chipset on other boards and see what the max that supports - they tend to only support the same things, no matter who the manufacturer is... although there are slight variations.

Finally though, for the price you may pay for an Athlon 950MHz SlotA cpu (unless you get a decent price on a 2nd hand one - make sure its still in good condition though), it might work out cheaper to buy faster kit that you can use your existing ram, graphics etc in. I've seen places you can get a 1.3GHz duron with a mobo (supporting pc133 SDRAM) with a hsf for ~£70

Originally posted by jonifen
3 posts all together by one person when it woulda been easier to just edit the first one (woulda made easier reading too imho)... jus spam :eek:

I suppose it would take the maximum AMD athlon cpu that runs 100MHz FSB (if it took a 950MHz I mean - I'm sure the maximum is 1000MHz (1GHz) anyway - although I might be wrong).

I would take a look around for the chipset on other boards and see what the max that supports - they tend to only support the same things, no matter who the manufacturer is... although there are slight variations.

Finally though, for the price you may pay for an Athlon 950MHz SlotA cpu (unless you get a decent price on a 2nd hand one - make sure its still in good condition though), it might work out cheaper to buy faster kit that you can use your existing ram, graphics etc in. I've seen places you can get a 1.3GHz duron with a mobo (supporting pc133 SDRAM) with a hsf for ~£70

everytime i clicked "edit" i got a blank page, and i didnt want to quote it.:( sorry. Chipset= Irongate/Viper :) i'll do some research now...

also, isnt a Duron slower than an Athlon? sort of like Celeron VS Pentium? thats what i always assumed. im also trying to keep it in my (baby-at) case. dont want to spend more money than i need to right now.

Thankyou.

yeah, the duron is the athlon's little brother.

i looked around, and Slot A athlons go up to 1ghz. but one of those will cost you well over $200. :(

950mhz = $140
900mhz = $ 75
850mhz = $ 63
750mhz = $ 50
700mhz = $ 23
650mhz = $ 20

so, you see... any worthwhile upgrade is going to cost quite a bit. why? because those old processors are rare anymore. besides, with an ibm-made bios, there's no guarantee it will support anything higher than the 550mhz you already have. you really would be better off saving up a little more money and getting a new setup, like jonifen said.

but if that's out of the question, you can pick up a 700mhz for 23 bucks. :huh:

Originally posted by taurus
yeah, the duron is the athlon's little brother.

i looked around, and Slot A athlons go up to 1ghz. but one of those will cost you well over $200. :(

950mhz = $140
900mhz = $ 75
850mhz = $ 63
750mhz = $ 50
700mhz = $ 23
650mhz = $ 20

so, you see... any worthwhile upgrade is going to cost quite a bit. why? because those old processors are rare anymore. besides, with an ibm-made bios, there's no guarantee it will support anything higher than the 550mhz you already have. you really would be better off saving up a little more money and getting a new setup, like jonifen said.

but if that's out of the question, you can pick up a 700mhz for 23 bucks. :huh:

on ebay a 950 goes for 30 bucks MAX.. i saw a few go recently for 15. OEM packaging. Im assuming OEM has the heatsink and a little spred.

its all very good buying cpus from ebay - makes the cost less for people an stuff - but as athlons are good overclockers - might be worth keeping in mind whether or not the original owner has overclocked it him/herself when they used it...

its all very good buying cpus from ebay - makes the cost less for people an stuff - but as athlons are good overclockers - might be worth keeping in mind whether or not the original owner has overclocked it him/herself when they used it...

well, 120 days warrenty, oem, unopened packages makes it sound pretty sweet to me :)

Originally posted by dubstar
on ebay a 950 goes for 30 bucks MAX.. i saw a few go recently for 15. OEM packaging. Im assuming OEM has the heatsink and a little spred.

what is spred??

if you mean heatsink compound, it doesnt need any tbh. the hsf is already attached afaik. its basically a cartridge which slots into the slotA on the mobo - its quite similar to the megadrive days lol... the p2 and p3 was the same.

oem will be the cpu with hsf and a sticker for your case if you're lucky

Originally posted by dubstar
on ebay a 950 goes for 30 bucks MAX.. i saw a few go recently for 15. OEM packaging.
doh. forgot about that ebay thing. ;)

what is spred??

if you mean heatsink compound, it doesnt need any tbh. the hsf is already attached afaik. its basically a cartridge which slots into the slotA on the mobo - its quite similar to the megadrive days lol... the p2 and p3 was the same.

oem will be the cpu with hsf and a sticker for your case if you're lucky

yeah, compound.. that word slipped my mind. i was going to say Artic Silver thingy stuff.. but i figured spread would be easier to write out..

doh. forgot about that ebay thing.;)

shame on you, ebay is godly.:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back