Matt's Upgrade Thread

DJ, why sell anything?

Just get yourself a cheap, plain Jane case and mod it yourself. Then move all the Dell parts into it. Have all the fun and you will still have a stable system, under extended warantee, and none of the hassles, like DOA parts, delayed deliveries, incompatible hardware, quirks you had not heard about until after you buy.

SAZAR is not allowed to read the following:
PS if anything dies in the Dell just slip it back into the original case and call for help.

LeeJend said:
DJ, why sell anything?

Just get yourself a cheap, plain Jane case and mod it yourself. Then move all the Dell parts into it. Have all the fun and you will still have a stable system, under extended warantee, and none of the hassles, like DOA parts, delayed deliveries, incompatible hardware, quirks you had not heard about until after you buy.

SAZAR is not allowed to read the following:
PS if anything dies in the Dell just slip it back into the original case and call for help.

ghahaha, nah.

I'll keep what I got, really nothing to gain by sinking more $$$$ into it. Machine fits my needs, for now :eek:

madmatt said:
That was with tax. And the 2005FPW. You don't want to know what I've spent since.

You need to invest in an accountant first lol.

Sheesh Matt, is your computer valued at more then your car yet? :D Well, I can't say too much, as back in 1998 I bought a $5,500 system, and still managed to upgrade it :laugh:

Seems to be comming along nicely though...

Saz, I know what I've spent in upgrades since purchasing the XPS system. I created a spreadsheet.

Son Goku, I have a ways to go before I spend more on my computer than my car. Not bragging.

Is Intel steering away from BTX?

I'm thinking Intel Desktop Board D975XBX with the Intel Pentium D 950. Case: Antec P150. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I see that, lol.

I can't go with the P150 because my Plextor DVD/CD drives have a black bezel. It would look silly. On top of that, the included PSU won't be powerful enough. This concerns me too.

Installation took a lot longer than I anticipated with this case. This was because of several reasons. First, the motherboard I chose barely fit and didn’t leave much room at all by the CD-ROMs and hard drives. Another problem I had was that the video card would almost hit the back of the hard drive when I connected its power connector. I resolved this issue by moving down my hard drives and leaving the top space empty. It’s amazing how large video cards are getting these days.

That is another reason why I wouldn't go with the P150, as I wanted a black case. You should check out the case I linked to above, it's black, relatively similar, and has a 430W PSU, which is enough for me but may not be for you.

Here are my thoughts...

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D975XBX
Processor: Intel Pentium D 950
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)

I am still undecided about a case. The P150 is a great case (from what I've read) but the white bezel is a con along with the 430W PSU (which can be upgraded but would cost more in the long run). I've also read it is a tight fit which also worries me since I have two optical drives and three hard drives going into the system.

So I still need to decide on a case and a 500W PSU. Although what I've mentioned above is still up in the air.

Nah... not my cup of tea. I'm not into cases like that. I really like simple cases, like my XPS 400 case. The P150 would be great if it wasn't so tight and the P180 would be great if it wasn't so huge.

I don't like it. I've gone through Antec and Cooler Master's web site four times and the only ones I really like on Antec's site are the P150 and the P180 (too larger). The only ones I like on Cooler Master's site are all too large.

I am going to go with the P150 unless some thing comes out before I order it.

Thank you anyway.

Have you taken a look at thermaltake? They make decent cases too, or Lian-Li....

Should try to find something you are 100% happy with, although I know that is sometimes not possible :(

Case was probably my hardest choice too!

I found one on TT's site. But I turned around and read the reviews. Not nearly as good according to those reviews.

Still stuck on the P150.

The pictures don't do the p160 justice :)

I have one, I have a review of it posted here someplace.

The p150 is a little smaller, the p180 a little larger.

Like I said in my pm, the case comes with stealth drives so the color of your optical drive should not matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back