Matt's Latest Project

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
A few months ago I lost my biggest client and a network that I built from ground up. It was like losing my first child. I've decided to create a thread for my latest project. Let's call it my new baby.

Infrastructure
Router: Linksys RVS4000 4-Port Gigabit Security Router
Switch: Linksys SD2008 8-Port Gigabit Switch
Wireless Access Point: Linksys WAP54GP Wireless-G Access Point

Server
Dell PowerEdge SC1430
CPU: Intel Xeon 5110 Processor (1.6GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4MB Cache)
RAM: 2GB 533MHz Dual Ranked Fully Buffered DIMMs
HDD: 2X WD RE2 SATA (500GB, 3.0GBPS, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache)

Environment
Other: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Enterprise, Microsoft Forefront Security

This should be fun.

Last edited:
Is this for you or for a client, and what's the desired end result?

This, when completed, will be my network.

Nice configuration :)

Do you have all the hardware already?

I am installing Active Directory right now. I am probably going to end up reformatting and starting all over because this is likely a test run.

I am a perfectionist.

That is a pretty sweet setup regarding hardware though, I'd like to see what becomes of it :D

Or you have OCD. :p
What gave it away?

After the server is up and running (including Exchange) and I have tested the domain I will be installing Vista on my production system.

Time for lunch.

I'd recommend getting a SuperMicro chassis and the CPU, RAM and HDD's separately. The SM chassis use a lot less power than the Dells. The Dells just drink it down, power hungry beasts.

Too late for that. I already purchased the hardware and upgraded the hard drives (I purchased those from Newegg).

cisco router connected to netgear? why go such high end to such low end?

I only wanted and needed a simple, unmanaged switch. A fellow engineer said he had great luck with this Netgear switch so I went with it. For $48.00 you can't go wrong. I can always upgrade later on.

What do you recommend?

I only wanted and needed a simple, unmanaged switch. A fellow engineer said he had great luck with this Netgear switch so I went with it. For $48.00 you can't go wrong. I can always upgrade later on.

What do you recommend?

how many ports do you need

Eight ports is more than enough.

Nice. Let me know what your experiences are with Exchange 2007. :)

My current Exchange 2003 server is not a 64-bit box, so it might be a while before I build a new machine that's capable of running 2007.

For those of you who don't know why NR has that problem: Exchange 2007 is 64-bit only.

ah then i guess ur netgear will do fine. Just have never anything good about netgear. only bad.

I've never had a problem with my netgear equipment.

Now my linksys experience is a whole other story :)

D-link has been pretty good but a coupla bad experiences sour the deal.

To each their own. If this switch works for his needs, Matt's good to go ;)

Wow...... That went so far over my head it was barely visible... :) But all those highclass words and numbers sound impressive.. :D Hope it works out as you planned! Good luck.

i love netgear, well priced and dependable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back