MASTER TUTORIAL: Make Your Windows VISTA Super Fast

Blackviper has been pretty well discredited. Do not use his advice. Do not link to his advice. Do not reproduce his advice.

As soon as I remember where he was discredited pretty thoroughly I'll post the link.

As soon as I remember where he was discredited pretty thoroughly I'll post the link.
Thanks, I'd be interested to read it if you can :)

I was aware of an article a couple of years ago (XP not Vista). Since then the site has been changed and is now back up again (BV took it down originally)
The review was at Anandtech, but the review has since been removed.
I'm thinking the review was removed as It's contents are no longer the accurate.
(For the record Anandtech forums still regularly have links to BV's site, and none have been removed.)

I'm merely wondering if this discreditation is current, or something you recall from a couple of years back, which is no longer the case.

Looking forward to your reply :)

Doesn't having aero on actually take a load off the CPU by putting it onto the GPU anyway?

Indeed it does.

As to the BlackViper discreditation. It's a very well written discreditation. He's still popular as he's become sort of a "windows urban myth" among supposed "experts".

I have a few services disabled on mine, I'll try and remember what they are... I know I kill the smartcard related services at least

I prefer killing the Workstation service - fecking thing is useless :D

I'm really surprised and a little bit sad after reading al the comments in this thread.

Why you guys are finding this thread useless? Should not we try to use our system with maximum performance? The tips I mentioned in this tutorial can really improve the performance.

Vishal, don't be offended.

This is an open forum and when items are posted, sometimes they are discussed. Please don't take it the wrong way. Just look at your other threads where people have appreciated the advice and information provided.

Lots of ppl upgraded to Vista because its better and also have lots of new features but they might have older hardware in their system and can find Vista slow. So this tutorial can be used to make Vista a bit faster.

And a quick disclaimer at the start would have probably made this clear.

I don't know why you guys posted these comments? May be because of the google search done by "ray_gillespie". So whats wrong in it? I love forums and I have registered in almost each forum I know and find good. I want to share my tutorials with as many ppl as I can. Is there anything wrong which I'm doing?

There is nothing technically incorrect. Remember, it was me who approved your first post and thread on these forums :) I would not have done so if I thought you were not contributing to the forums.

We have a problem with people spamming on occasion and anytime there is a large volume of posts on these forums, alerts are raised, unless it is KCNYCHIEF who apparently has no life and lives to post :smoker:

There have also been issues with people doing self-promotion by posting somewhat useful information but constantly re-directing traffic from the forums.

As previously mentioned, understand that certain habits and reactions are borne out of previous experiences.

I also told it in the mail which I sent to admins.

At last, ppl who have doubt on my MVP status can check my profile here:

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vishal.Gupta

Vishal, I seriously doubt the vast majority of posters even know what the MVP status means, so don't worry about it. A quick link in your signature or profile would help but it's not needed.

Everyone is a skeptic until presented with some information. You have to understand that not all items can be taken at face-value.

---

What I would highly recommend is working directly with ElectronicPunk and getting setup as an Affiliate. This would allow you to get recognition and linkage directly from out front-page. If there are certain guides posted with content that is more valuable than others, they get front-paged and should garner more hits that way and, naturally, sources are cited.

Please don't be offended, the internet is free and face-less and therefore reactions run the gamut from Tele-tubby friendly to obnoxious.

Please, do keep posting and let's work on getting you affiliated and going from there.

:)

Cheers.

@Sazar
I completely agree with you and I appreciate the way you described all the things. I apologize to everyone. :)

I'll keep posting in the forum and will always be an active member. Thanks again everyone. :)

I wonder if you can use windows to tweak midgets?

:smoker:

We have a problem with people spamming on occasion and anytime there is a large volume of posts on these forums, alerts are raised, unless it is KCNYCHIEF who apparently has no life and lives to post :smoker:

Woo, my name in lights :D

Wow some of you are just unreal. Dicrediting this guy for posting a legitimate tutotial. I cant believe you actually have some users whos posts are decorated with all this junk misleading others into thinking they know what they are talking about. First things first. Over half of all Vista users in my experience think and know Vista is slower than their XP equipped machines. This is pretty common knowledge as being fact.

Second maybe his tips do focus on the eye candy but theres many of us who dont need that eye candy slowing our systems down. Not all of us upgraded our machines to get Vista. Most (Probably above 80%) Purchased Vista with a new computer. As a matter of fact its widely know that Vista is aquired by purchasing a new computer. People arent flooding the stores looking for Vista discs. If you think that people got Vista because they wanted the eye candy well that may be true for some but facts and figures states otherwise.

Then you say not to post links or reference BV? OMG lets seal this up right now. I came here because of a friends recomendation and quickly seen just in this one thread what kind of info Id be getting here. Everything but legit info. While that probably is not right this thread surely represents that and shame on some of you posting this crap. BV's work needs no defending. Results speak for themselves as you would see if you actually tried something before giving discredits. Instead you trust 3rd party info as fact? Cmon people we learned all about that in grammer school. Well good luck and maybe ill see some of you around but I can say this. It wont be here. Peace out Nooobs!!!!:laugh:

P.S. Ill be laughing at you guys for awhile. My friends and I will get a kick out of your stupidity. Oh and Vishal Gupta. Ill be looking for you in other forums. Good work buddy!!! Post your work in forums other than this waste of space where your work will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
flatline:

While your post is borderline flame bait, I figured I'd approve it and allow some people to respond (let's try to keep it civil folks!).

As for the info you get here, I believe most of it is rather accurate. The disabling of unused services does very little to speed up your system.. it might increase some security issues which is a different story.. but most machines today have more than enough RAM that freeing up 10MB on a system with 1GB or more has very little performance impact.

As for removing the eyecandy features, most of the eye candy is "slowdown" due to the delay in sliding open a window.. not really system performance, but percieved performance. Part of the gleam/advantages of using the full Aero interface is that the GPU does most of the processing for the screen draws and offloads it from the CPU/Mainboard memory from having to deal with the graphics display processing. If you disabled all the Aero features, you end up pushing all the display processing back to the CPU and main memory and that would actually slow down your system. Granted, you can remove some of the eye candy (sliding windows, full window movement,etc) that will make your system appear a little faster.. and for those that are intent on trying to have the fastest percieved system speed, it will provide marginal increase - but will that .25 second delay opening a window really make you that much more productive?

As for trusting 3rd party info as fact.. well, if you follow Black Viper's advice, isn't that a 3rd party? If you follow Vishal's advice, isn't that following a 3rd party? For what it's worth, I have tried most, if not all, the various tweaks out there for XP and Vista.. and my opinions are based on my observations. Disabling of services did almost nothing for performance.. and, in some cases, did slow other things down. Did it free up memory, sure.. ~10-15MB on my 2GB system.. hardly anything to write home about. Removing some of the eye candy made some operations marginally faster, and there are some options I keep (like, not doing full content window dragging). There are others that I didn't like - personally, I like having compressed files and encrypted files show up in a different color.. but, most of that is percieved speed changes, not actual performance of the underlying system.. and nothing that really made any difference in productivity. When gaming, most games run in Full screen.. and it's not like I'm worried about window transparency, full window dragging, or the color of files in windows explorer when I'm running a full screen game..

We are all entitled to our opinions.. in fact, most people I know in the IT industry are some of the most opinionated people I know.. we can express our opinoins and try to convince others that we are right.. and in the end, you need to decide on your own what is right.

While some comments on this thread may have been a bit overboard, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a healthy debate.

I'm sorry that you feel that a board where differing opinions abound is not your cup of tea.. personally, I'll stick around and listen to all different views and form my own opinions based on that.

Thanks guys and specially thanks to FLATLINE302 for your comments. But I'm not leaving this forum as you see I'm posting here. I welcome all kind of comments and tbh getting critical comments is the best way to improve yourself. :)

I would like to thank everyone again for posting your valuable comments.

You know what would be cool - an "advanced" install option so you could remove certain component when installing that you don't want/won't need or use.

You can use vLite.
vLite is a tool for customizing the Windows Vista installation before actually installing it.

Main features are:
  • hotfix, language pack and driver integration
  • component removal
  • unattended setup
  • tweaks
  • split/merge Vista installation CDs
  • create ISO and burn bootable CD/DVD

Wow some of you are just unreal. Dicrediting this guy for posting a legitimate tutotial. I cant believe you actually have some users whos posts are decorated with all this junk misleading others into thinking they know what they are talking about. First things first. Over half of all Vista users in my experience think and know Vista is slower than their XP equipped machines. This is pretty common knowledge as being fact.

Second maybe his tips do focus on the eye candy but theres many of us who dont need that eye candy slowing our systems down. Not all of us upgraded our machines to get Vista. Most (Probably above 80%) Purchased Vista with a new computer. As a matter of fact its widely know that Vista is aquired by purchasing a new computer. People arent flooding the stores looking for Vista discs. If you think that people got Vista because they wanted the eye candy well that may be true for some but facts and figures states otherwise.

Then you say not to post links or reference BV? OMG lets seal this up right now. I came here because of a friends recomendation and quickly seen just in this one thread what kind of info Id be getting here. Everything but legit info. While that probably is not right this thread surely represents that and shame on some of you posting this crap. BV's work needs no defending. Results speak for themselves as you would see if you actually tried something before giving discredits. Instead you trust 3rd party info as fact? Cmon people we learned all about that in grammer school. Well good luck and maybe ill see some of you around but I can say this. It wont be here. Peace out Nooobs!!!!:laugh:

P.S. Ill be laughing at you guys for awhile. My friends and I will get a kick out of your stupidity. Oh and Vishal Gupta. Ill be looking for you in other forums. Good work buddy!!! Post your work in forums other than this waste of space where your work will be appreciated.

lol. Not a bad first post, but I wouldn't form an opinion of our site based on one thread or one member. The most amazing thing about the Internet is the wealth of information, ideas, and opinions. What may be right to one may not be right to another.

In the end I believe Vishal Gupta is a good addition to this site (please don't thank me).

Thanks for making me chuckle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back