Massive sound Problem

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
ok with my sound card it is an sound blaster aduigy gamer, this just strated to happen tonight and it is really pissing me off a lot. i just reformatted my pc about 48hours ago and it was all fine until not, every mp3 i play sounds like crap, when the song hits a certian tone it makes a sound like someone hitting a cardboard box. or something like that, i first thought i blew a speaker but they are all good and everything wounds fine when i plug it into my laptop and cd player..i have uninstalled and re installed the drivers, software, and updates many times but now i am out of ideas. anyone encounter this problem before or herd of it and know how to fix it??

EAX. It might be EAX. For your soundcare settings, there are some special effects, that might be enabled. Turn em off.

This happened to a few people that I know :)

yeah, open up your surround mixer and make sure the eax settings are on "(No Effects)"

they were off
right now i have removed the card to check for problems and there are none, i am going to reinstall and then the update?? anyone got any other ideas

You didn't open the computer when you reformatted, right?

So you didn't touch the inside...just to be sure.

Perhaps you did something wrong. Format once more and start over, paying nice attention to what you do.

i didnt change any hardware or anything or even open the case up, i am hopeing that i can find an answer without formatting agian becaues school starts tomorow from x-mas break. and i wont have the time

i am going to reinstall it all agian and see what happens this time and i will dubble check the eas settings for something odd.

ok so far so good start up sound is good and there 5.1 audio music intro is good too

try turning the main sound down, my sound pops and cracks, if both the wave and main volumes are up and the speakers are at a decent level, even at 90% it fixes the noises.

ok and mp3's play good and no eax setting ahve been touched now do you people think that i should install the drive update becuse i know it makes it become louder with it

mp3s

well, MP3s sound like ****, period. . .regardless of speakers. . . :)

if they are sounding worse then normal, i don't know. . .

just my 2 cents :)

ok i did the update and nothing went wrong durring the process and all is good for now i will let anyone know if the problem returns

thanks for everyones help

huh?

man. ..mp3s are compressed beyond belief. . .even the 'best' mp3s sound poopy. . .if you can't hear it, then listen to a cd on a properly set-up mid-fi stereo. . .even a cd on decent computer speakers. . .will blow away mp3s

i'm not being condescending. . .it's just that many people actually don't realize this b/c they've been listening to crap for years. . .

A LOT of info/detail/quality is lost in the compression to MP3s. . .

don't flame me. .. .just pointing stuff out. . .

p

well, "a lot" is a matter of opinion. and i'm sure almost all of us that listen to mp3's listen to cd's, too. i consider myself an audiophile and rip my own mp3's at 192kbps and they sound damn close to cd quality. and yes, i have a 'mid-fi' system set up, at least.

Originally posted by canadian_divx
if mp3's sound like that then what do you listen too????

I listen to my Mp3s ripped at a very high bitrate, that's what. Sounds just like a cd.

Re: huh?

Originally posted by pjchappy
man. ..mp3s are compressed beyond belief. . .even the 'best' mp3s sound poopy. . .if you can't hear it, then listen to a cd on a properly set-up mid-fi stereo. . .even a cd on decent computer speakers. . .will blow away mp3s

i'm not being condescending. . .it's just that many people actually don't realize this b/c they've been listening to crap for years. . .

A LOT of info/detail/quality is lost in the compression to MP3s. . .

don't flame me. .. .just pointing stuff out. . .

p

Not going to Flame, but I will point out that you are wrong about the 'best' mp3's sounding bad.

Mp3's are compressed but that does not mean that they will sound worse.

Just a little run down on how things work. A 128kbs mp3 is pretty much crap. It's about the same as listening to something on a FM radio station.

192kbs is becomming the new standard, and sounds just like the original CD when played on low end speakers. But on high end you still hear artifacts.

256kbs is Studio quality. Even if you played this on high end speakers you would probably have a hard time telling the difference between the CD and the mp3.

The problem is that most people don't encode correctly. They rip at high speed, and they dont even use the correct mp3 settings when they encode. I mean most people don't even know what codec they are using when they encode! To produce a good Mp3, you should rip it with EAC (www.exactaudiocopy.de) and encode with Lame. Fhg does not sound as good as Lame at high freq.

How are they going to produce high quality music when they don't know what they are doing. A well ripped Mp3 will sound just as good as the original CD on good speakers as long as your rip and encode it correctly. If you just rip, click, and encode, you are going to get a mp3 that does not sound as good as the origianl.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back