Massive problem.

This time I'm going to have a backup situation. I was thinking about trying out acronis true image. The only thing I don't understand is who do you restore the image if you can't get the system to boot.... maybe I can find a guide or something.

For future reference:

Split the HD into 3 partitons. System ~15 megs, Programs partition (everything that will let you chaneg the install directory -games, Office, AV, Firewall, etc) as desired, and Data partition as desired.

After everything is reinstalled Image the System partition to any old POS HD you have lying around (or pick one up for $20) everytime you install something major and it runs fine for a week. Or don't do anymore backups and keep a virgin install (your choice). Then physically disconnect the HD (data and power).

If the system drive crashes restore from the backup. It is fast because your big programs and files are on other partitons. It restores a working registry so all the applications are recovered (assuming the HD didn't fry). You can boot from the smaller drive to recover the Programs and Data partition if the System partition is damaged.

You still have to backup your data files regularly but using this method I have only had to do one complete reinstall in 4 years. And that was more choice than necessity because I went from a 32 to 64 BIT MB. PS Don't forget to backup my documents to the Data directory once a week. You can use a batch file. Drag and drop doesn't work because a few of the files are in use and resist being copied (another fine MS feature).

PS You might want to consider pulling the Audify and running on board sound for a while. The worst stability nightmare I ever had was a flaky sound card.

I've already got the 3 partitions setup. I was doing everything as you suggested but I've never actually gotten around to doing a backup and restore solution. I swear this is the last time. I will from here on out, have a backup image at all times!

I can't even reinstall now. I got it reformatted, setup started then I got a BSOD. Something about NTFS.sys. I think I must have a bad HDD but it's passed every test I've thrown at it. I'm mad!

****EDIT****

Make that bad RAM! I just put memtest in and as soon as it came up it started giving me errors. I had tens of thousands of errors in a matter of seconds.

Last edited:
I am not surprised - in fact I was thinking it, but held back on saying so because you seemed to know your stuff (I almost assumed memtest had been run from back history) and the codes and symptoms pointed to a bad HD.

Although your memory may be bad do not think this will let you skip the reformat - like Lord said it is broke and will just break harder (why do people never seem to listen to him when he makes posts like this? :p And then he is (more often than not) proven to be right? :eek: :dead: )

I have to reformat. I was halfway through the process when I got the BSOD, it was a PAGE_FAULT error and I thought that was a memory issue so I tried memtest. I just did a memtest 6 weeks ago and it passed everything with ease. I've got 3 sticks and I know at least one of them is bad ... when I get new stuff should I pay for the ultra premium grade stuff or is that just as prone to failing? Also are heat spreaders a good investment? They don't look like they do anything but get in the way.

I use Crucial, they are cost effective and very reliable. But honestly, most brands out there are decent these days. Look at warranty, CAS timings and latency. Crucial/Kingston (only two brands I use), have lifetime warranty on all RAM.

god ****ing damn it

Excuse my language. I tested each stick and each one tested fine. What does that mean? Bad RAM slot, is that even possible? If it is, do I need a new MB?

hehe, what cpu and board do you have? And what combination of ram generates errors?

MSI 865PE Neo 2 with a P4 3.4 ghz. I have 3, 512 sticks of PC3200 ram. The errors came up when all 3 sticks were installed. I removed all the sticks and tried each one individually in the first slot. The first slot has to be filled so it has to be an error in the 2nd or 3rd slots i'm guessing.

BouncingSoul said:
god ****ing damn it

Excuse my language. I tested each stick and each one tested fine. What does that mean? Bad RAM slot, is that even possible? If it is, do I need a new MB?
Defeinitely possible, but more than likely an issue of proper voltages being pumped to the slot than the slot itself.

Since you now know all 3 chips, as well as the first slot are good, run tests on with chips alternating in the other two slots.

when I had this problem it was Crucial Ballistix memory that failed - and as soon as I narrowed it to one 512 stick that stick hit the trash can....

Just posting so you know crucial is not infallible (and to avoid the Ballistix maybe - I know I shall!)

OH YEAH ... cherry picked and you can get them with LEDs on for an extra $5 or so too! They make great value when they hit the trash can after 18 months for sure..... :(

Reboot to safe mode if accessible and "Start" "Run" then type sfc >space>/scannow......to rehash system files.
May help, if system is not too far gone.

it's too far gone.... we think.... if you are right though I'll even rep you and it is not my system!

I don't know. I really don't... Like I said earlier, each stick tests out fine when its the only stick installed. I added a 2nd stick and retested. Again, fine. Swapped that 2nd stick for the 3rd stick and again it tested fine. Put all three in, went home for the night, came back today and an @$$ load of errors greets me. In addition to the errors, the case sat open all night in the air conditioning, yet it was so hot I was sweating just standing over it. One of my coworkers suggested mismatched timings but neither of us can find the timings on the ram (probably wore off, or in my case ... melted off). Either that or he thinks I need a 4th stick since it might be dual channel. I don't think its the timings cause its worked for a long time and it can't be the dual channel thing cause I've always had the 3 sticks in there. I'm really really out of ideas.

Oh and I already had reformatted it, so there is no recoverying the system files anymore.

Maybe it is your motherboard...
Did you call them or chat with them?
If it is faulty slots or something, they should rma it right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back