Massive Avast files - Help!

segamil

OSNN Addict
Hello everyone - Seems Avast4 (free version) is taking up a lot of my hard drive space under DATA/moved folder. All the files are labeled in numerical sequence as :msi.dll.###.vir.

There are currently over 5000 of these files in my data folder and each one is 1.83mb in size - which means it's taking up over 9 gigabytes of my hard drive space. That seems extravagantly huge. I really like avast but is it safe to delete these files? anyone?

Thanks in advance!

I have been googling this problem and have not found an answer. I'm hoping the wise experts here who might have used this free version of avast 4.7 will be able to help.
I'd like to free up 9gigs on my HD -- and give whoever helps several reputation stars.

Is it possible it's found an infected file in a restore point and keeps "cleaning" that file (that is locked in the restore dir)?

I suppose that's possible...
I found the files in C:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast4/Data/moved.

I just deleted all of the files to see what would happen and so far everything is still working. I will do a system restore to see if the files return. Thanks. Will keep you posted.

You don't want to do a system restore. IF there is a virus stuck in a restore point, it will, uh, restore it. What you want to do is disable system restore and reenable it [or not, it is useless] which will delete all previous restore points.

You have a good point j79zlr. I'm just running a virus scan and then I will remove all previous restore points. I hope that works.

Thank you all! based on your advice, I removed all of my restore points, did a full av scan, rebooted and then enabled sys restore again. The moved folder files haven't come back - avast is still working and all is well again. Thanks for your help!

Hello everyone - Seems Avast4 (free version) is taking up a lot of my hard drive space under DATA/moved folder. All the files are labeled in numerical sequence as :msi.dll.###.vir.

There are currently over 5000 of these files in my data folder and each one is 1.83mb in size - which means it's taking up over 9 gigabytes of my hard drive space. That seems extravagantly huge. I really like avast but is it safe to delete these files? anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Ah well..... I have been using Avast free version for 9 years and its never happened to me so far !

If you right click on your hard drive in my Computer, then click the Disk Cleanup button. Once its finished counting how much free space you would gain by running the cleanup tool click the Advanced tab, there should be a button which lets you delete all but the most recent restore point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back