Mapping Drive via IP. Authentication issue!

adz2006

OSNN Newbie
Hi,
I am runing out of ideas with this one! :cry:

My aim is to set up on my friends pc a mapped drive connected to a share on my home pc. They are not on the same WorkGroup nor are they on the same network. I have managed to set everything up but when it comes to authenticating the username and password this is when the problms start! I have set up a username and password on my home pc that my friend would need to specify when asked for the login details. I have changed the login policy so that hi username can connect via the network and also logon as local, but it still isn't having it.

I have used "net use....." and it just keeps comming back with error 53 which from what I can would out could also mean there is an issue with the username and password not only that the "specified network path cannot be found".

Would it make a difference if i put a duplicate user of my friend login for my pc as a user on his pc??
eg. if the username for my pc='Username1' & Password='Password1', do i need to create a user 'Username1' with pass 'Password1' on his pc??
So when i next try the login the full username of '<myIp>\Username' matches the username on my pc setup for him?

Thanks.... this microsoft stuff is sooo messed up! :lick:

I assume both computers are on different routers? If that is the case then both networks are private (on private IP networks, 192.168.1.1) and therefore are unable to see one another.

madmatt said:
I assume both computers are on different routers? If that is the case then both networks are private (on private IP networks, 192.168.1.1) and therefore are unable to see one another.

He can ping to me & I can ping to him. There are no routers involved. I know he is getting access to my machine, its just the authentication part.

Thanks

Is File and Printer Sharing Enabled on your PC?

In XP, it can show the "hand" without it actually being enabled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back