mapping drive letters to folders

crono_logical

Bird Eater
How would I make WinXP map a drive letter to a specific directory and keep it across reboots?

Specifically, I want to map R: to E:\test - I can do it using the subst command at the prompt, but would like a more permanent method, if there is one. E: is a FAT32 drive, if that helps.

Cheers.

I this what you have in mind....I used the Help and Support from the Programs and searched for (Map a Drive)

To assign a drive letter to a network computer or folder
Open My Computer.
On the Tools menu, click Map Network Drive.
In Drive, select a drive letter.
In Folder, type the server and share name of the computer or folder you want.
Example:

\\servername\sharename.

-or-

Click Browse to find the computer or folder.

Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
To reconnect to the mapped drive every time you log on, select the Reconnect at logon check box.
Mapped drives are available only when the host computer is available.
Network drives are assigned letters from Z to A, and local drives (your hard drive and removable storage devices) are assigned letters from A to Z.
You can assign a computer or shared folder to a different drive letter by disconnecting from the drive and then reassigning it to a new drive letter.

Why not just create a partition for special use jobs like "test", or "pagefile", or "cd images". Thats what I do.

Each partition will be auto assigned a drive letter but you can change those under administrative tools.

I'll poke around and see if there is a permanent way to map a directory. The non-permanent way is to put batch file in your run at startup menu. Just put the command string you use noe in the batch file.

name it remapr.bat or some such.

Download this file and put a shortcut to it in your startup folder and will run the subst r: e:\test everytime you log on.

Silly me, I forgot about the startup folder and startup keys in the registry ^_^ (I already have 11 partitions so am kind of reluctant to make yet another :) ) Thanks for the replies. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back