Manual Degauss

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
I've got a very old IBM 2248 14" monitor, and the problem with it is that there a greenish tinge on the outer edges of the screen. It has the older manual controls. I know the degauss feature will help clear the tinge but this monitor doesn't seem to have that feature. I was just wondering if there is a manual way of degaussing a monitor?

Thanks.
RaG

Most monitors will degauss when they are turned on. Even monitors without the degauss button. Turn the monitor off for a little while (30 minutes if you can) then turn it back on. If that does not work, you can manually degauss it. I will see if I can find a tutorial to show you since it would be easier if there were pics involved.

Yes. There is a tool you can buy to do this. It plugs into the wall and is a round wand kinda. I do not have any clue where you can find one.

Good Luck

I have one of those degaussing tools in my basement if you live in the area of Des Moines. :huh:

Edit:

ha ha, I just noticed your location... I guess you aren't "in the area" then! :)

Carefull placement of a large speaker magnet does it for me :D

Duh! :eek:

-Ryandor

Originally posted by scriptasylum
I have one of those degaussing tools in my basement if you live in the area of Des Moines. :huh:

Edit:

ha ha, I just noticed your location... I guess you aren't "in the area" then! :)

Hehe ah well... thanks for offering anyway! :)

Originally posted by Ryandor
Carefull placement of a large speaker magnet does it for me :D

Duh! :eek:

-Ryandor

Hmm... wouldn't that make it worse? :huh:

try smackin it on the left side near the top, and then on the top near the center.

This worked for our old IBM monitor

Originally posted by Ragnarok
Hmm... wouldn't that make it worse? :huh:

Well... if you can somehow place the magnet in such a way as to reverse the effect without screwing up the already good areas.

Those degaussing tools are simply big loops of wire wrapped around a bunch of times and then hooked to AC power through a momentary switch (if you keep them on too long, they will burn out). The one I have vibrates and hums quite loudly (60Hz) when in use... the wife likes it, ha ha. :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, when AC runs though the loops, it creates an alternating magnetic field which magnetically "realigns" the phosphor on your monitor, while a speaker magnet's magnetic field does not fluctuate. It will be a little harder to get the speaker magnet thing to work. You could do it I suppose, but you also run the risk of making it worse.

Are you sure your monitor doesn't have a degauss? I've seen it in the past where you have to press two buttons simultaneously or something to activate it. My monitor performs an auto-degauss everytime you turn it on.

If you want to buy one:

http://www.contacteast.com/product/prodpage.cfm?grp=4088B982-EEE0-11D4-8A710050DA5FEB55

You can get them cheaper, but you get the idea. Might be cheaper to take your monitor to a local TV repair dude.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
Are you sure your monitor doesn't have a degauss? I've seen it in the past where you have to press two buttons simultaneously or something to activate it. My monitor performs an auto-degauss everytime you turn it on.

Well I'm not sure whether it does auto-degauss or anything, but since it is an old monitor, it has the older "knob" controls rather than the newer digital buttons. So I'm pretty sure I can't degauss it that way. But thanks for the help and info! :D

Originally posted by Geffy
try smackin it on the left side near the top, and then on the top near the center.

This worked for our old IBM monitor

Thanks but it didn't work, I was bashing the thing the whole day! :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back