mandrake

C

cabmustang

i just downloaded mandrake and am very confused on the installation of programs. any websites that can help wqith this?

RPM's are the easiest, just open a terminal and go the directory with the RPM. use this to install:

rpm -ivh FILE.rpm

and this to ipgrade:

rpm -uvh FILE.rpm

for binaries, you basically just unzip and they are installed.

Most programs have install instructions as README with them.

To unzip use:

tar xzvf FILE.rpm.tar.gz

source can cause problems with missing libraries, so unless you know what your doing and planning on recompiling its hard and unnecessary. , but the usual steps are

1)unzip
tar xvzf FILE
2) cd to the directory
cd FILE-FOLDER/
3) Install
./configure
make
make install

I am very much a linux newbe, but these are the basics and work for me.

If you're compiling from source, also use "make clean" after you're done with "make install"
It cleans up temporary files that were created during the compiling process to save disk space. Also, don't delete the makefile after you're done. You'll need it in case you need to uninstall the app later.

Just little things to keep in mind when using a source-based distribution :)

Originally posted by j79zlr
rpm -ivh FILE.rpm
Which, 9 out of 10 times, doesn't work for me since there always some dependancy missing...
So I suggest you get hold of "apt-get" for RPM packages and use that since it takes care of everything for you. I love it. :)

thanks for the replys! i'm sure i'll figure this out eventually. also, is there anyway to change the resolution while in linux. i prefer 1024x760 but it set itself to 1280xsomething. thanks for any help you can give me.

You need to open the /etc/XF86Config in a text editor like Emacs and change the screen resolution in there.

<-- is in mandrake as well, most compiling from RPM's is very simple, and most source comes with compiling instructions. www.mandrakelinux.com and linux.com have great intros docs into linux.

Originally posted by NetRyder
You need to open the /etc/XF86Config in a text editor like Emacs and change the screen resolution in there.
I'm pretty sure you can change that in the GUI. There should be something in the Control Panel thingy (who's name I've forgotten atm).

Originally posted by Zedric
I'm pretty sure you can change that in the GUI. There should be something in the Control Panel thingy

the Mandrake Control Center

Also RPMDrake (or RedHat Package Manager in RedHat) can do this job automaticaly

does RPMdrake install programs downloaded from the internet?

Yes anything with .RPM can be managed and also anything with Drake at the end is quality for the end user

There's nothing like installing from source though. Gives you all the optimizations for your particular setup :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back