mandrake linux

C

cabmustang

has anyone here used mandrake linux? if so how good is it?

Are you already comfortable with linux, or are you just starting out?

Mandrake, Redhat and Lycoris are great beginner distros. Debian and Slackware are really cool once you get familiar with linux.

If you have a fast connection, I would say ... try out a couple of different distros and see which one you personally like the best. Debian and Slackware currently top my list. I like Redhat's UI too.

Take a look at http://distrowatch.com for a nice listing of distributions.

Personally, I think that mandrake are trying to move away from the noob-ish image that they have and become a more proffessional distro. But it's still a good place to start.

I Really need to get some form of nix installed on here at some point, having just one box is a pain :p

is there a linux OS that has alot of preloaded drivers in it like win xp? that's the only thing pushing me away from loading it.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Personally, I think that mandrake are trying to move away from the noob-ish image that they have and become a more proffessional distro. But it's still a good place to start.

I don't know if mandrake will be doing much of anything after they filed for bankruptcy :D

I've got mandrake installed though, its a nice newbie friendly OS, but still seems really powerful and configurable like linux should be. I've also tried redhat but didnt like it too much.

Originally posted by cabmustang
is there a linux OS that has alot of preloaded drivers in it like win xp? that's the only thing pushing me away from loading it.

Different distros have slightly differed hardware compatibilities.
I think the best thing to do is go thru all those sites and see if the distro you want to use is compatible with your hardware.

i have linux mandrake 9.0 installed on my machine with xp as my primary OS...

Linux Mandrake 9.0
The first two install discs contained all the drivers and software for me to use all of the following hardware in my machine (which is all of my hardware)

Asus P4S533 mobo
Asus GeForce 4 mx 440 ( don't dog the 440 )
ATI TV Wonder PCI
Creative Labs Extigy (External USB Sound Card) (no remote centre software yet)
LG CD Burner
Pioneer Slot DVD
ZIP (parallel) external drive
Canon Canoscan 670 USB Scanner
SIS network card
Realtek network card

Anything you need that isn't on the disc can be automatically downloaded while performing the initial OS install, or later...

I think Mandrake is a fantastic alternative to windows... the only thing keeping me using XP more often is that i already have it customized and tweaked just to my liking, and i have yet to get round to it in linux...

i'm thinking of switching out of windows completely because it is beginning to dissapoint me. but i'm worried about the driver for my dial-up modem under linux. if there even is one.

Most distros have a hardware compatibility database that u can check to see if your hardware will work or not.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Windows that disappoints you?

the software they are putting out now (stupid reason i know) mainly WMP 9 it has seriously messed up my registry, and internet explorer has serious security risks, and windows to for that matter. also because i have used redhat on a friends computer and really enjoyed the design. I also wan't to try something new.

BTW: i just pulled up info on my modem and was wondering if anyone would know if this is a winmodem. thanks for all your help.

U.S. Robotics 56K Fax Win Int Configuration Profile...

Product Type US/Canada Internal
Product ID 265699A
Data Option V.32bis,V.34+,V.90,V.80
Fax Option Class 1/Class 2.0
Line Options Caller ID, Distinctive Ring
DSP Freq 34.0Mhz
DSP Ram 32K

Code Date 04/20/2000
Code Rev 4.01.021

is the modem physically "large"?... winmodems are usually no bigger than a basic network card... about 1.5inches wide... my usr modem is pretty bulky... it's not a winmodem...

nevermind that. i think it is, i wen't to the website and found a picture of my modem i believe under winmodems.

Mandrake is good for newbies and has excellent hardware detection. It installs the K Desktop Environment (KDE) by default which is quite comfortable for Windows users. Also Mandrake's implementation of LILO (Linux Loader) is good and you should be able to boot into the OS of your choice after it is all setup.

However on the question of modems a lot of PCI Winmodems will not work under Linux because they require special driver software that is not available for Linux. You will probaby end up having to use either a hardware ISA modem or an external modem. I use a US Robotics Sportster V90 ISA modem and have never had a problem under Mandrake - although Redhat consistently refused to recognise it!

If you decide to install Mandrake turn off "plug and play" in the BIOS as all hardware interrupts must be assigned by the BIOS and not by the OS. Also turn of any video shadowing as this can also cause problems.

Alan

jumpy
I don't know if mandrake will be doing much of anything after they filed for bankruptcy :D
haha, true that
icon10.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back