Mandrake and XP Pro...

B

bheagle

Just a quick few questions for anyone that knows,

I have XP Pro installed on my system that has two Hard drives, neither has multipul partitions on them, each drive is one large NTFS Formatted drive. A 30 gig and a 40 gig, the 30 gig is my C: and the 40 is my D:.
I cannot install on the 40 gig cause to be honest, my FTP is taking all but 15% of the drive and I need to keep that 15% free.

now the questions.

1) is Linux Mandrake 8.2 worth dual booting to?

2) will the install let me resize the C: drive with the NTFS without losing my XP.

3) Will the Boot options in Linux see the XP install?

4) which bootloader will be the dominant bootloader, XP or Linux?

Any help would be apprecated.

:D

Originally posted by bheagle

1) is Linux Mandrake 8.2 worth dual booting to?

YES. i love linux and if i knew how to get around in it better it would be all that i would use primarily. i got 8.2 on my laptop. it recognized all of my hardware without probs, even the wireless lan connection. definatly worht duel booting

2) will the install let me resize the C: drive with the NTFS without losing my XP.

if you want to resize use partition magic and resize your partitions then let linux install format it for you

3) Will the Boot options in Linux see the XP install?

yes they will. linux lilo boot loader will see xp and add it to the boot menu so it will look similar to this

Linux
Linux_Failsafe
Windows

4) which bootloader will be the dominant bootloader, XP or Linux?

Linux bootloader will take preference. you can choose wheter it is graphocal or text based if you do an expert install of linux

:D

sorry, read the quote i put the answers under the questions you asked

thanks for the quick reply... I'm downloading the iso's as I type this, (as long as download accelerator don't screw them up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back