Mandrake 9 and XP

O

OTE

I have 2 HDD on my system one of 40Gb and the other 3Gb. On the 40Gb i have WinXP (Pro) installed. On the 3Gb I have installed Linux Mandrake 9.

However atfer installing Mandrake and expecting it to go to the dual boot screen, it went to the windows XP boot screen with the - start XP normally, System Restore, Safe mode options. I chose Start XP normally but my computer just restarted and went back to the XP boot screen. I removed the Linux HDD and started up, windows booted as normall no problems.

Any ideas??

regards

OTE

ah... I think I know the problem.... completely wipe out your 3 GB hard drive and reinstall Mandrake on there, and thru. the installtion you should see something about a boot menu... chose one of those 3 boot menus (I'm using grub, but you can chose Lilo (there's one with graphics and one without graphics)) Mandrake well take care of the rest after you choose which boot menu you want to use... but it seems like you just skipped that screen thus you were using Windows boot mangager and Windows Boot manager isn't all that good when it comes to Linux, that's why all Linuxes comes with some boot managers to choose from so you can boot your system with multi-OS

Thanks for the reply. Would installing a boot loader from windows work as well cause id rather not have to install Linux again, after the somewhat annoyance of having to installing it the first time.

Regards

OTE

You can use the Windows bootloader. When I searched for dual booting a while ago I found many references to it. You make a boot file somehow in Linux, copy it to the Windows boot partition and add a line in boot.ini.

Originally posted by Zedric
You can use the Windows bootloader. When I searched for dual booting a while ago I found many references to it. You make a boot file somehow in Linux, copy it to the Windows boot partition and add a line in boot.ini.

You mean bootpart? (see attached file)

(You're welcome ;))

(Yay, the forums work again!)
I only tried it on a NT4 machine, but I have seen it work with XP. Not so difficult, since boot.ini is the same with both OS.
Forgot to mention earlier, this program creates its own Linux boot file. No manual fiddling here!

Mandrake is supposed to have its own bootloader and you can choose from linux, linux-failsafe, windows, and some others. What did you put on that step while installing linux?

Linux loaded without X ?
as far as i know it just takes you to a terminal window instead of parsing your boot options and loading X ... just give it a try next time you re-boot :)

thanks for the replys. Ill try that bootloader program tonight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back