Mandrake 9 and Aureal Vortex

DrMetallica

OSNN Senior Addict
Posted this on Neowin but no one helped :(

I just installed Mandrake 9 with Gnome on my other computer and I almost scheiße myself!! It's sooo nice especially from windows!!! But i have some problems.

I have a CD with my sound card driver, an Aureal Vortex, but I don't know where to install it or how.

I have two operating systems on my other computer, windows98 and Mandrake 9

I have the driver installed on my other OS, windows98. The way I installed that was start --> setting --> control panel --> add new hardware --> search d: drive

And the sound works fine on windows98

But not in Mandrake.

I am wondering if Mandrake doesn't support the Aureal Vortex card if I can install the driver from the CD i have.

hmm.... for one thing, the CD that came with your sound card would only work under Windows... in the Linux world (unless you got the one that uses Windows File system like Lindows), you don't have EXEs (I think, please, any linux expert correct me wrong if I am). anyways, when you were installing Mandrake, thru. the installtion progress you should of got to a point to chooseing what sound card your using... if you don't see your sound card on the list, then it's not supported (I think)... what you can do is to go into Mandrake Control Center and click on Hardware>Hardware List and look for Soundcard and slect the item that's under it and choose Run Config Tool (I think you want that)... and you should know what to do for the rest

it isn't that hard, just untar it into your user account or onto your desktop, then go into that folder and edit the "makefile" file, after editing it, go into a shell place, choose to be in the root shell, log in, go into the folder and run the right command... just read the ReadMe file that's in the tar.gz file ;)

Originally posted by scsa20
it isn't that hard, just untar it into your user account or onto your desktop, then go into that folder and edit the "makefile" file, after editing it, go into a shell place, choose to be in the root shell, log in, go into the folder and run the right command... just read the ReadMe file that's in the tar.gz file ;)

not that hard??! like 10 steps to install a driver and that isn't hard? Linux isn't user freindly enough yet :(

whoa whoa whoa, wait a second. Explain step 1, untar into your desktop with a little more detail pls:confused: :confused:

lol, your using Mandrake, right?? just dubble click on the file, click the very first name in the window it open, drag it to your desktop and choose copy... isn't that hard ;)

another way of untaring it is by going into a shell and puting in:

tar xvzf aureal*.tar.gz

(where the star (*) is is the rest of the name of the tar.gz file) ;)

Ok you kinda guided me in the right way thx :) I un-.gz and edited the makefile but I'm a little confused about placing it in the shell.

The tar'ed sound driver is in /home/john/Documents/aureal

so this is what it looks like in Konsle

[john@localhost john] $ cd Documents
[john@localhost Documents] $ cd aureal
[john@localhost] $ su
Password:
[root@localhost] # make install20

(a whole bunch of errors)

Can you help explain where I messed up?

make sure your in the root shell then CD by: cd /home/john/Documents/aureal

then try doing that one command again... plus it could be helpfull if I could see the errors you get ;)

[root@localhost aureal]# make install20
make install AUCHIP=AU8820
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/john/Documents/aureal'
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8820 -mpentium -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c
make[1]: cc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [au_audio.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/john/Documents/aureal'
make: *** [install20] Error 2

[root@localhost aureal]#

cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8820 -mpentium -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c

see that bald part?? that's not a command... hmm... dang, I wish I knew more about Linux... sorry for not being able helping you out much -_-'

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back