Mandrake 9.0 Final

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Just wanted to let you guys know that Mandrake 9.0 went final yesterday (Sept. 25th)

Mandrake Linux 9.0 (Dolphin)
www.mandrake.org

What's included:
- Kernel 2.4.19
- XFree 4.2.1 & XFree 3.3.6
- Glibc 2.2.5
- GCC 3.2
- KDE 3.0.3, GNOME 2.0.1, IceWM 1.2, WindowMaker 0.8, Enlightenment 0.16.5, BlackBox 0.62
- OpenOffice.org 1.0.1, KOffice 1.2
- Mozilla 1.1, The GIMP 1.2.3, XMMS 1.2.7

I'm not sure if this was really a bug, but I couldn't get Mandrake 8.3 to run when I got my GF4 card. I did a little poking and heard rumors that the GF4 series card wasn't supported. I would get to LILO (i also run 98 and XP on the same harddrive), and then the OS would start loading. Right when it would come up to a GUI login, it would blink. Meaning the screen would go black and flash on very briefly, then blink black again. All I could make out between blinks was the end of the OS loading screen right before the GUI. I would then press the reset button and Linux would go through unloading itself like normal. Weird.

When I get back to work next week, I'll download the new version and see if it works.

Is there release notes for this version, like what has been fixed/improved?

Downloading it right know. I'll let you guys know what it's like.

I am already running 9.0(mandrake) on an old P2 266.
Runs perfectly...

Nothing worng... and i love the new features.

I've installed it in a VM using VMWare.
If I screw up anything, I can just discard all the changes! :p

I've installed it in a VM using VMWare.

I've heard of VMWare, never got round to obtaining and using it tho, how does it work... installing an OS within windows i mean..

i also use vmware. i use it mainly to test out other os to see if i like 'em.

it's easy. just click on the 'create a virtual machine' button, click power on....insert whatever os you want to install in the cd-rom drive and that's it!

a small window appears....boots up just like when your system boots up, then you load the os into memory. it's neat!

i currently run winxp pro and have these installed as virtual machines inside vmware: win2kas, win98se, linux mandrake 9.0 beta.

btw, linux roxors! :D

I switched to Lycoris ... and I'm going to try Slackware next month or so.

Mandrake = Newbie Linux
Slackware = Advanced Linux

heh, by looking at lycoris it worries me, its eye candy fun :D

I really like it as a free alternative to Windows.
It's the ease-of-use and good looks of Windows combined with the power of linux. :)

Still can't beat Windows' functionality (shame :p ) although most tasks can be acheived in linux theres just the odd app or two that you need from windows

is there a free alternative for vmware or a demo of it becuase i cant find a demo and i a not going to spend 299 for something i dont even know if i will like or know how to use

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back