Mandrake 9.0 Final

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Just wanted to let you guys know that Mandrake 9.0 went final yesterday (Sept. 25th)

Mandrake Linux 9.0 (Dolphin)
www.mandrake.org

What's included:
- Kernel 2.4.19
- XFree 4.2.1 & XFree 3.3.6
- Glibc 2.2.5
- GCC 3.2
- KDE 3.0.3, GNOME 2.0.1, IceWM 1.2, WindowMaker 0.8, Enlightenment 0.16.5, BlackBox 0.62
- OpenOffice.org 1.0.1, KOffice 1.2
- Mozilla 1.1, The GIMP 1.2.3, XMMS 1.2.7

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I'm not sure if this was really a bug, but I couldn't get Mandrake 8.3 to run when I got my GF4 card. I did a little poking and heard rumors that the GF4 series card wasn't supported. I would get to LILO (i also run 98 and XP on the same harddrive), and then the OS would start loading. Right when it would come up to a GUI login, it would blink. Meaning the screen would go black and flash on very briefly, then blink black again. All I could make out between blinks was the end of the OS loading screen right before the GUI. I would then press the reset button and Linux would go through unloading itself like normal. Weird.

When I get back to work next week, I'll download the new version and see if it works.

Is there release notes for this version, like what has been fixed/improved?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Downloading it right know. I'll let you guys know what it's like.

X

-[xs]-mirage

I am already running 9.0(mandrake) on an old P2 266.
Runs perfectly...

Nothing worng... and i love the new features.

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I've installed it in a VM using VMWare.
If I screw up anything, I can just discard all the changes! :p

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I've installed it in a VM using VMWare.
I've heard of VMWare, never got round to obtaining and using it tho, how does it work... installing an OS within windows i mean..

koko

Got Root?
i also use vmware. i use it mainly to test out other os to see if i like 'em.

it's easy. just click on the 'create a virtual machine' button, click power on....insert whatever os you want to install in the cd-rom drive and that's it!

a small window appears....boots up just like when your system boots up, then you load the os into memory. it's neat!

i currently run winxp pro and have these installed as virtual machines inside vmware: win2kas, win98se, linux mandrake 9.0 beta.

btw, linux roxors! :D

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I switched to Lycoris ... and I'm going to try Slackware next month or so.

SPeedY_B

Mandrake = Newbie Linux
Slackware = Advanced Linux

SPeedY_B

heh, by looking at lycoris it worries me, its eye candy fun :D

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
I really like it as a free alternative to Windows.
It's the ease-of-use and good looks of Windows combined with the power of linux. :)

SPeedY_B

Still can't beat Windows' functionality (shame :p ) although most tasks can be acheived in linux theres just the odd app or two that you need from windows

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
is there a free alternative for vmware or a demo of it becuase i cant find a demo and i a not going to spend 299 for something i dont even know if i will like or know how to use

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirkk