Manchurian Fans?

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I just read this article, found it to be pretty interesting. Wonder if we have any of them here...

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer...e-actors-to-promote-their-products-152874.php

Did Nvidia Hire Online Actors to Promote Their Products?

About a week ago, The Consumerist stumbled upon claims made by various gaming websites (specifically, Elite Bastards and [Update: a poster on the forums at] Beyond3D) that graphics chip manufacturer Nvidia, in cooperation with the Arbuthnot Entertainment Group (AEG), had seeded various gaming and PC hardware enthusiast sites with pro-Nvidia shills. That is to say, that AEG would hire employees to create ‘personas’ in various gaming communities, slowly building up the trust of other members by frequent posting unrelated to Nvidia, to later cash in that trust with message board postings talking up the positive qualities of Nvidia’s products.

The research done by these gaming websites and communities fingered a few likely suspects, but did not prove outright that AEG’s work—quoted on their web site as “Message board monitoring and response” and “Strategic seeding viral assets to ensure they are spread far and wide”—included placing ringers in their communities.

Almost at the same time, we noticed this post on gaming webcomic Penny Arcade, where an anonymous tipster had written in part,

I interviewed for a guerilla marketing business in San Francisco that targeted web forums.

I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.

Soon after, we sent an email to David Higham of Nvidia, asking in part, “I’ve noticed that you’ve worked with AEG before. What sort of services were AEG hired to perform for Nvidia? Did those services include “strategic seeding viral [of] viral assets,” and if so, does that mean that Nvidia worked with AEG to hire community agents who discussed Nvidia’s products without disclaiming they were an employee, contracted or otherwise, of Nvidia or AEG?”

Mr. Higham passed us on without response to Derek Perez, Nvidia’s Public Relations Director, who is quoted on the AEG Testimonials Page saying, “AEG’s online community outreach programs have been extraordinarily successful in improving public perception of our company and its products.”

Mr. Perez, who had been forwarded The Consumerist’s original email asked us, “What is this in reference to?”

We replied again, “This is in reference to discussions occurring on in certain online communities about possible “Manchurian Fans” being seeded into their forums and comments pages, assuming a long-term personality, and then placing pro-Nvidia statements after a trusted reputation has been established. The issue being, of course, that the ‘Fans’ are being paid to inject positive buzz about Nvidia’s products into the community at large while not disclaiming their affiliation with Nvidia.”

“Has Nvidia hired any companies, including AEG, to do this sort of undisclosed ‘viral’ marketing?”

“May be best to talk on the phone,” was Mr. Perez’s reply.

That was February 1st. We have yet to receive a phone call from Mr. Perez, despite trying to schedule one multiple times. We informed Mr. Perez on the 3rd that we would be running our stories with or without his comments. We feel at this point that the issue is being avoided by Nvidia.

So we ask Mr. Perez and Nvidia again, did Nvidia hire AEG or other companies to seed online communities with undisclosed marketers posing as fans? And if so, is this work still ongoing?

Update: Be sure to catch Mr. Perez’s blow-off response, as well as our… well, they’re pretty much the same questions, since we didn’t really get an answer.

I have posted on behalf of nvidia in a few places, but never as a fanboy it has always been a request for nvidia to release drivers from within nvidia itself (weird internal politics)

I was gonna do a long winded post, but now can't be bothered.
Bottom line, I let the numbers do the talking at the end, I buy the best card I can when I am looking.

And I feel manchurian is a poor pronoun (erm) as these people know damn well what they are doing.

Manchurian == manchurian candidate :cool:

And yah, this is just speculation.

I had heard of this... If some don't mind, I'll copy over what's relevent, with what I had already said; largely because I'm now feeling a bit lazy :D
----------------------------

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that both companies were involved in a practice such as this, to some degree. Anyone who remembers the PDF files that circulated around, supposedly from nVidia's own marketing team wrt Power VR and the Kyro 2, will know exactly what I mean.

Someone sent this to me via email a long time back, but given that it has since been put up on the web (and not by me), there isn't any reason it can't be mentioned

http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/20...a_on_kyro2.pdf

BTW, that card, and I had owned one for a time between my GF2 GTS and my GF3 Ti500, was released by Hercules, as the Prophet 4500 as I remember (see reference from PDF file, for relevence).

And ATI hasn't looked like angels either, when it's come to certain marketing practices.

What makes this sorta marketing practice rather bad/cunning, if it is in fact going on, is that these people can well look like over-zealous fan bois, and be taken as such, without such an affiliation being expected... Either way, I don't tend to follow the arguments of fan bois, or pay them much heed. The nVidia fanboi vs. ATI fanboi bash fests, many times don't add something worthwhile to the discussion which would help any of us decide which card to get anyhow. I for one, usually just pass such posts by...
----------------------

Someone mentioned such a mention (slide number 25) in a PDF which ATI was involved in

http://www.skenegroup.net/misc/best_of_ati_2003_2004_2005_2006/Save_The_Nanosecond.pdf

youraudiencewillhelpyououtlater.jpg

which leaves, the suggestion in this article, well not beyond the realm of believability.

Last edited:
Damn, you caught me. I'm slaming ATI not because they have ****ed me royally but because Nvidia is paying me.

Not, actually Sapphire is paying me. ;)

I have always had problems with ATI, never had a problem with nvidia. let that speak for itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back