managing xp accounts

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
i am gunna make another windows xp account for my little sister.

and as u can see in the above sentance there already is a problem.

little sister and xp do not mix... so when i create the account i want to really customize and limit the account.

- i want to block her from accepting anyfiles on msn.

- block her from deleting program files/windows

- block her from installing / uninstalling.

basically all she wants the computer for is to go on some stupid game websites and talk 2 her friends on msn. and thats all i'm allowing her to do evrything else i want to block. i would also like to monitor what she does.

are there any admin tools that i can download for xp that can manage all this kind of stuff.

also i have some questions about accounts.

i currently only have 1 account which logs in straight away, is it possible to giv me a password or do i need to create another?

how much space does an msn account take up?

thanx 2 any1 that replies, forcer

If you set her up as a limited user then some of that is done already.
Computer administrator account

The computer administrator account is intended for someone who can make systemwide changes to the computer, install software, and access all non-private files on the computer. Only a user with a computer administrator account has full access to other user accounts on the computer. A user with a computer administrator account:

* Can create and delete user accounts on the computer.
* Can change other users' account names, pictures, passwords, and account types.
* Cannot change his or her own account type to limited unless there is at least one other user with a computer administrator account. This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on the computer.
* Can manage his or her network passwords, create a reset password disk, and set up his or her account to use a .NET Passport.

Limited account

The limited account is intended for someone who should be prohibited from changing most computer settings and deleting important files. A user with a limited account:

* Generally cannot install software or hardware, but can access programs that have already been installed on the computer.
* Can change his or her account picture and can also create, change, or delete his or her password.
* Cannot change his or her account name or account type. A user with a computer administrator account must make these kinds of changes.
* Can manage his or her network passwords, create a reset password disk, and set up his or her account to use a .NET Passport.

also check these links
For XP Home
For XP Professional

Turning on the Windows XP firewall will disallow her sending any files...what a terrible feature included by default in Windows, but it will work for you.

will it stop file sending on just that account, or all aco****s?

I think all accounts, but if you want to send/recieve a file, just turn it off temporarily. Just curious - why do you want her not able to recieve files?

because shes just a stupid little kid. I usually fix computers for ppl in my area and when i go n fix viruses or errors i find that its caused by the kids on msn accepting files off any1 because they dont really have a clue n they get to see a joke or getting an email saying download this game or whatever but really its a virus. i just want to decrease the chances of her being able to do this,

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back