Malware infected segate drives

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Seagate is warning users to scan their systems for malware after a password-stealing Trojan was found on some of its hard drives. The vendor said that the malware was discovered on the Maxtor Basics Personal Storage 3200 model by researchers from security firm Kaspersky.

Seagate did not reveal how many infected drives had been sold, claiming only that it was "a small number".

source

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2203373/seagate-warns-infected-drives

would these not be nuked by formatting the drive?

would these not be nuked by formatting the drive?
I would think so. Malware on a flash drive I could see as a problem, as people buy them and use them right away. Unless these were used as a secondary drive on a Windows system ...

So the real likelihood of being caught out by this is pretty small.

unless they are prefortmated and shiped to oems, story wasnt overly clear on where when or how, even if it was in the mbr

It was a boot sector virus that detects and disables AV. A normal formatting does not wipe the boot sector.

I don't think it was a boot sector virus. From the descriptions of it that I've read, it is simply an autorun.inf that is ran if you plug the drive into a Windows Operating System infected PC. The autorun then installs the virus. Simply formatting the drive should get rid of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back