Making shared Server folders unavailable

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I am trying to figure out how to make some server folders unavailable to the regular domain users, but be available to the admin users.

when I logon as a regular user at a workstation, I start->run->\\Server and all the folders come up, I would only one or two folders available for sharing.

I would like all of them available for the admin users logged on though.

Maybe a good tut on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Heeter

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
Just curious as to why. If you have permissions setup then you shouldn't worry about unauthorized access.

Heeter

One of the folders is the iso's/license keys of all the software from the company

Someone can download this stuff onto thier desktop.

I don't really know how to setup the correct permissions for this to not happen.

The users are under "power Users" template in SBS2003 domain controller.

Heeter

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
right click on the folder - properties - security - add people/groups to deny or allow list, think its the same when sharing the folders

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Yeah, just take away read access for those who you don't want to see it. Nothing needed more than that :)

Would probably want to remove all default groups such as "Everyone", "Domain Users" and/or "Users" too - just leave the user group for those who need to access them.

Heeter

Thanks Guys,

I will jump on that right away...................

Heeter

DwarfData

OSNN Addict
Heeter,

Another useful tip is to create a hidden share by ending the name of a share with a $
eg \\server\licence_keys$
Although this won't modify security it will stop the share appearing when a user browses the network.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
but that only works as long as you have admin shares enabled right? what if the registry has been tweaked to not allow them ? one of the first things i do

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
the '$' should work regardless of if admin shares are enabled or disabled. The reg hack to disable them just removes the default c$ (and/or d$/e$/etc) shares.

Heeter

Hey Guys,

Thanks a million for all your input. Will do the $ thing too.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioPR