Making PC an FTP Server

Z

ZAnwar

I hae tried Serv-U but found it crap. Has anyone got any other good programs where your PC acts as a FTP server. I can't be bothered to put Slackware and Apache on my old PC and make it like that. I want something better than Serv-U to put on my current PC.

dont know... I have been using Serv-U for years.. even have set up other member's ftp servers. maybe the problem isnt the software.
you might want to consider that Serv-U is rated as the best. chances are better that ppl wont be successful in an attempt to break into your ftp with it. just my 2.3 cents (inflation)

for some reason, Serv_U does not work. The problem is I think the IP address, nobody can connect to my PC!

well than thats not a software problem... are you using a router??

nope, i have even formatted, tried it again but still not working.

formatted ?? damn I think youre going a little too far. post your pc specs and network configuration and maybe I can help

also post the errors that ppl get when trying to connect to you

ok...

Athlon 1.4GHz
768MB
64MB Video Card
Conexant ADSL Card
3Com Network Card

My network is just 2 (brothers and my old one) computers going through my PC to the net.

the errors that people get are that the IP aint right. they cant even get too the user/pass screen.

I will be back in an hour or so... need to go food shopping.

The more info the better if you want contact me via email or MSN... click below (in my signature)

oh, sorry.

Win XP Pro SP1 and Serv-U version: 4.1 (latest one)

sorry try the msn thing again...

also is your ip addy 192.168.X.X ??

You could also try Bulletproof FTP.

I used Serv-U for years also, but pain in the rear. BPFTP is much easier.

The prob people have with serv-u is not the prog, it's the user .. I have been using if for years and have never had a prob with it .. it is very easy to set up and is the best app for using as ftp server, I have found the only issue I have with it is that it don't work well with Passive mode range behind router, so you are stuck using port 21 ...

Check to see what your ip is - Make sure you know whether it's dynamic or static ... Either way the best thing to do while using an ftp server is to get a redirect (dyndns.com is the best one and it's free) - when you get a redirect all you will have to do is give people the url you chose ..

Originally posted by rnielsen151
You could also try Bulletproof FTP.

I used Serv-U for years also, but pain in the rear. BPFTP is much easier.

Bullet proof is a pain in the ass to set up .. Serv-U is musch easier and don't require you to use text files ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back