Making my harddrive bootable

Ignition

OSNN Junior Addict
How do i make my 81.9 gigabyte maxtor harddrive bootable? I've tried everything, but nothing seems to do it :(.
I've tried to exactly the same things on my 10 gigabyte harddrive, and there it runs just fine.

What exactly have you done to the drive, ie format, partition etc. Is it the master or slave? What if anything have you done to your bios.....Let's start from there and if im still around, i'll give you a hand.....

Originally posted by iamtaylormade
What exactly have you done to the drive, ie format, partition etc. Is it the master or slave? What if anything have you done to your bios.....Let's start from there and if im still around, i'll give you a hand.....

Ok. I got it reformated and everything(FAT32), it is the slave harddrive at the moment, but when i want it as the boot drive, i change it to master(I've got my other harddrive as master/boot drive right now).

Ive done nothing wrong to the bios i think, first boot device is the floppy, then hdd-0 and then CD-ROM.
Ive tried to set the master boot record and to write a boot sector to it, it still wont work.

When it tries to boot, it just says "press a key to restart"

And, there is only 1 partition on it.

What OS do you have on the drive? Do you at least have the DOS system files installed on the drive?

Thanks for all the help everyone, i found a solution myself. I just installed windows (on the 10 gigabyte hdd). Downloaded partition magic and set the partition to active. Reformated again, set the 81gig hd to master, installed windows on it.

Now everything works just fine :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back