Making heat sink

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
i am not sure if this is the correct forum for this but yea, for school metal shop we need to do a custome project and i wanted to make aheat sink for an amd cpu, so far i i ahve the money nad i know the place to buy the copper but i just wanted to know if there is anywhere on the net where it can give a blue print or tell you the best way to make one. it will be all made on a CNC machine or maybe my hand but i dont think so. lol so does anyone know of anything on how to do this or do i just need to guess?

Well, here's a little homework for you...

Copper will remove the heat from the chip really well but it also retains heat very well so is it REALLY the best?

Aluminum doesn't remove heat as well as copper, but it disipates it a lot better.

That's the reason you see a lot of HS's that have copper cores and aluminum fins.

As far as blueprints... The fun part of the project should be creating your own don't you think?

i never new that about copper, cool

as for the blue print i jsut wanted to see if the base and the fins were 2 pieaces or one and yea that would be the fun part but i jest wanted to see if there was like a small template that i can work from but i guess not thanks anyway

The base and fins are one piece... if they were two then you would run into heat transfer problems because that would leave gaps. Good luck dewd

i am just now thinking that it does not have to be a cpu cooler, what would benifit the most from a cooler in the PC that is not water cooling

Make Ramsinks for you video card, or heatsinks for the MOSFETs on the power input on your mobo, maybe even the south bridge.

There is a northbridge and a southbridge. The northbridge gets hot and therefore has a heatsink and sometimes a fan.

I suggest you make a heatsink for the HDD. Since it will be alot larger than a ream heatsink or so it will be easier to make.

the complexaity of it is no problem, this is all a learning process. but will a cooling device really matter on the HDD??? will i notice hte performance boost??

Nope, not a bit! :)
But neither will you on anything else unless you overclock them. And for that you'll need a good heatsink since you will be replacing one you allready have.

what about water cooling, i herd it is easy to make and my teacher told me that people have made them before? i know that i can get the water to -30 deg if i mix it will eathenal but i am going to over clock my cpu and would water cooling help?

okay...

1) copper dissipates heat better. period. abut twice as well as aluminum with gold somewhere in between. there are only 2 things better than copper at conducting heat... silver (which is about 10% better) and diamond (about 10x better). heatsinks are made with aluminum cores to save money. that is all.

2) having the fins be amalgamated with teh rest of the heatsink is best. if they're seperate and attached, you have to worry about air being trapped in microscopic gaps and about heat getting across. if it's all one peice of metal, it's the best.

3) if i were you, i'd make a copper waterblock for a watercooling setup. cuz they're pretty simple and also pretty expensive. i threw together a crude pic to show kind of how you'd want to design a waterblock. notice how the cool water comes in right in the middle on top of the core, where it's hottest. then it circles around through a wiggly path that will allow the water to extrude as much heat as posible from the copper. the pins help with that, too.. though i have no idea how you'd do that in shop class. if you want more help, i'd be happy to make more detail pics of different designs.

4) adding ethanol won't make the water colder at all. you can't add anything that will do that, unless you have a constant supply of it, like liquid nitrogen. the best you could use is distilled water (pure, no minerals) and a single drop of soap or "water-wetter", both of which will break the serface-tension of the water and allow it to flow more freely.

oh, and yes... water-cooling is more effective than standard heatsink/air-cooling. definitely a good choice for new processors, especially if you're looking forward to overclocking.

haha... oh yeah, here's that pic:

waterblock.txt

again, i stress that it's a rough sketch. :p

with the ethanol thing. in science class we were told that adding that to the water will allow you you put it bleow zero witha cooling unit becuase the ethanol will not let the watter freez, like putting vodka in the freezer, it does not freez, that is waht i was planning on doing, just adding a little 12-12 inch tank with a little cooler unit and a pump ok it to move it and that will allow me to put it below zero

lol and also i am pretty sure that i am going to do a water cooling thing i just need to run iy by my shop teacher tomrow, and the more info you can give me the better, and on anouther note where is elk grove??

right outside of sacramento.

ethanol is the active ingredient in car antifreeze. and it does exactly that... keep it from freezing. it doesn't make the water colder. so you'll be able to have -10 degree water and it will still flow. so, no point unless you're going to refridgerate the water. but that's a pain in the ass, expensive, noisy, and unreliable.

when you design the waterblock, use 100% copper. don't forget to make the plate that will go over the main bottom part after you machine it. and you want the water to have as much serface area as possible with the copper. so it's okay to make the sides of the channel bumpy, wavey, or have fins in it.

ok what i was orgianly thinking was that i would have it look like the pic below. for the inside of the block but with rounder edges, would somehting like that be ok??

yeah, that design is decent. but one thing needs to be changed.

when you have the hoses plugged into it, you want them coming out of the waterblock from the top.. away from the motherboard. if they come out the sides, you'll likely have memory or capacitors blocking your path.

and one good thing about my design up there is the water entry is right where the cpu core is.. the part you will be cooling. so the fresh cold water will flow over the hottest part. with your design, it will colder on one side, and the water will warm up as it goes through. so by the time it goes over the middle part, it will be warmer then where it came in. keep that in mind when you design a waterblock.

but most waterblocks on the market follow your basic design, so it will work fine. :)

and don't forget, you have to figure out a good way to secure it to your motherboard. you want it to be tight, but not too tight.

ok 2 things, first securing it to the mobo i was thinging of eaither using something like that little clip that is on theat sink and seccond how do i make the water cold, like once it goes through the system it will remain warm, the only way i know of is to add a cooler unit but that like you said is loud and expencive, but i could do it and i am going to be making a desin on auto cad and i will post a pic of the ruff, and with your idea i will add the water intake on the top and the out take on the side, and also i was thinking of having a copper pipe on teh side doing like a right turn UP do that it wont take up a lot of room

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back